Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which onboard computer

Options
  • 23-10-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Am back commuting on bike for first time in 10 years. A bit out of shape but not too bad.

I want to track heart rate, distance, time, get off the bike and download to PC as easy as poosible (bluetooth/usb?) and view how Im getting on, graph progress etc if possible. What options do I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

thumpybum wrote: »
    Am back commuting on bike for first time in 10 years. A bit out of shape but not too bad.

I want to track heart rate, distance, time, get off the bike and download to PC as easy as poosible (bluetooth/usb?) and view how Im getting on, graph progress etc if possible. What options do I have?

In order of increasing cost.
    * One of the Polar bike computers.
    * Powertap
    * SRMs

Look at the WKO+ software.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Suggest you do a search, there are a few threads on this.

I have a Garmin 705, which (whilst complete overkill) is absolutely fantastic, and with the stem mount leaves my bars free for other stuff. I download the data when I get to the office and browse the graphs over my breakfast.

I had expected the GPS mapping to be slightly useful, but it isn't really (unless you get very lost on a regular basis), so a 305 would probably be 90% as good at 2/3 the price. That said, the GPS is handy for using on foot, and is very pocketable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭paddy's hill

Garmin 705 is the best; I have tried Polar and many other brands over the years and none compare for the range of features and ease of use. I have also used in the car and works just fine. Got it on e-bay for €306. It only comes with the base map which is ****, you will need to get the city navigator maps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I have a polar 620 (bit old now) which is great for tracking ?heartrate and trip distance and speed. The connection to the PC is a bit fiddly (used sound through a microphone) but he newr ones are better. The main drawback with polars is that when the battery goes you have to send them off to polar to get them changed.
    Very keen on the Garmin 's though :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Very happy with my Polar CS100, which does the trick for me, measuring heart rate and cadence along with the usuals. Wireless units means its pretty clean to set up.

Power measuring systems like SRM and and Powertap are kind of the holy grail of bike computers, since power is the best metric for measuring effort, but they're very, very expensive.

Never saw the need for sat nav, so the Garmin would be overkill for me, but lots of people seem to like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm very happy with my Garmin 705, had a Garmin 305 before it.

Contrary to Lumen, I would say that the GPS mapping (presuming you have bought the maps, the basemap is useless) is actually very useful - if you are riding roads you don't know. So I found it great touring in France for example, and for a Dublin-Waterford cycle. I never use it on roads I know around Dublin/Wicklow however so for that sort of use a 305 would indeed be just as good for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thinking of getting the Polar CS 200 Cad myself.

Anyone know how good the PC software is? or are there freeware alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

72hundred wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the Polar CS 200 Cad myself.

Anyone know how good the PC software is? or are there freeware alternatives?

It's alright I guess. If you find an alternative that's better, let me know.

Basically you've got software to download the data and upload to the web based training diary. I think you should be able to have a look at it without registering a product. www.polarpersonaltrainer.com

It does what I want it to, in that I can track how many miles a week i'm doing and stuff like that but it's a bit of a beeatch to set up a customised training program if you want to do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Paddy's Hill, I sent you a PM (Private Message) asking about the Garmin 705. Basically I'm curious about which ebay sites can be trusted and if Garmin warranties etc. are still valid if you buy from ebay.

I've finally yielded to the temptation and decided to buy one of these. I'll justify the expense as a necessity for the car (constantly getting lost), hillwalking (fear of getting lost) with the added bonus of being useful on the bike...

I'm dying to find out if my heart rate is higher while sitting in traffic in the car or grinding up to the Hell Fire Club:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Garmin warranties are NOT valid buying from eBay, it's something they specifically exclude. They have a fixed price replacement programme for Garmins out of warranty, think it was £59 for a replacement 305.

I would not get a 705 as an in-car navigational aid BTW, screen is much too small, no voice warnings, slow route recalculation, etc. etc. You would be better off with a €100-150 GPS designed for the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭paddy's hill

Yes. What you say about the car is true, but I did use it when my Nuvi packed up in the middle of France and I had no idea where I was, it was ok, but the screen if very small for looking at in moving traffic
    My favorite feature of it is "Go Home", which tells you how far it is and gives an ETA, great when the wife is ring wanting to know how long I'll be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thanks for the replies Paddy's Hill and blorg. In fairness the car is little more than a glorified bicycle carrier...

Advertisement