Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit issue

Options
  • 23-10-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I paid €1000 with 2 friend as a deposit up front to live in a town house. Only signed a 6 month contract in August 07 and the lazy estate agents never got us another contract until a month before we moved out this month.

So the Estate people have shut up shop and left the landlord to deal with everything. We get our skates on and move out and clean the place up and leave things as they should be.
    I get in touch about the deposit and the girl helping the landlord says there may be some issue with this because there are marks on the doors and walls.
    This would be put down to general wear and tear but as I told her we were not climbing up the walls and doors and I can't think of anything as drastic as she mentions. My mum had helped with the move/cleaning and said we would be the perfect tenants when she looked at how we left the place.

So I get a cheque in the post for €950. Docked €50 - no big deal, but no explanation. I ring them and they tell me this was due to the "badly marked doors". The place was built by cowboy builders with faults everywhere (a windowsill right beside shower heads etc, cue mould & rot) so this is nothing in comparison.
    I couldn't believe the nerve of them to dock us even €1. And it wasn't for marks to one door, it was the whole house.
    I just wanted to get this off my chest in a public forum and see if people think that's a joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I paid €1000 with 2 friend as a deposit up front to live in a town house. Only signed a 6 month contract in August 07 and the lazy estate agents never got us another contract until a month before we moved out this month.

So the Estate people have shut up shop and left the landlord to deal with everything. We get our skates on and move out and clean the place up and leave things as they should be.
    I get in touch about the deposit and the girl helping the landlord says there may be some issue with this because there are marks on the doors and walls.
    This would be put down to general wear and tear but as I told her we were not climbing up the walls and doors and I can't think of anything as drastic as she mentions. My mum had helped with the move/cleaning and said we would be the perfect tenants when she looked at how we left the place.

So I get a cheque in the post for €950. Docked €50 - no big deal, but no explanation. I ring them and they tell me this was due to the "badly marked doors". The place was built by cowboy builders with faults everywhere (a windowsill right beside shower heads etc, cue mould & rot) so this is nothing in comparison.
    I couldn't believe the nerve of them to dock us even €1. And it wasn't for marks to one door, it was the whole house.
    I just wanted to get this off my chest in a public forum and see if people think that's a joke.
    I tell you what you should do. When somebody pulls this stuff on me I get fairly annoyed and always pursue it. It will make you feel better so get onto the PTRB and waste their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I know it's only 50 euro, but out of principal I'd contact the PRTB (although this will cost you 25).

Landlords like this are always trying to do anything to keep money from a deposit. I'm in a similar dispute although for a few hundred euro and am currently waiting for a PRTB hearing (but it takes ages to get one).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per above- if you feel strongly enough report it to the PRTB. In all fairness though- is it worth the time and hassle over such a small sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

the ptrb are absolutely useless. word on the street is that they are going to be disbanded. i have spoken to both landlords and tenents and the amount of delays and red tape is unbelievable.
    take the 50 euro hit but make it known that you are going to badmouth the estate agents and that you will let all your friends and work colleagues of what they done and i think they will find the 50 euro somewhere.

Advertisement