Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC emits a high pitched whining on boot.

Options
  • 23-10-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I assume its the hard drive. Could dust be the cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

More likely to be the cpu fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The fan seemed fine. Though I will check again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

When you start a PC/laptop all fans will spin up to full speed for a few seconds. More than likely one of the fans needs to be cleaned/replaced. Best thing to do is open the case up and listen carefully for where the sound might be coming from when you boot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mick84

have you changed any settings in the BIOS ?
    If so or not try reseting the BIOS settings back to default.

I would try this first before opening the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

An old PC I had did the same on startup, slapping the PSU at the back of the case stopped it, but it would usually have stopped by the time the OS had booted anyway. Probably something like a dry/worn bearing in the PSU fan, when it gets up to running speed/temperature, things settle in, and the noise should stop. Nothing to be too concerned about.

If it is the hard drive though, it is something to be VERY concerned about. There should be no dust inside the hard drive. Or a wearing bearing in the hard drive, another thing to be concerned about. I started using a SMART gathering/reporting program for monitoring my hard drives, after a near disaster with a PC at work. Whilst a hard drive could fail at any time for any number of reasons, being able to see the raw figures reported by SMART does give me some peice of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

I would say it could well be the PSU if its a high pitched noise.
    I dont the name of the part in the PSU but its a coil that "whines".Its caused by it vibrating.
    Anyway take the side of you case of the find out if the noise is coming from the power suply and post back.DONT open the PSU thought as this is very dangerous as it can hold a charge for sometime even though its not connected to the mains suply.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I changed the PSU and that has sorted the issue. Thanks to all who replied for your help.

Advertisement