Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI to ban leg shaving next

Options
  • 23-10-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Quote from:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/uci-...1#post_comments

The UCI, the governing body for competitive cycling, have changed the rules concerning mountain biking to ban the wearing of “tight-fitting clothing” as well as insisting that full-face helmets must be worn when racing and practising for downhill and four cross.

The wearing of skinsuits has been a point of contention over the last year, notably in the Australian round of the mountain bike world cup where Tracy Moseley, wearing a skinsuit, won the women’s race by four seconds from Rachel Atherton.

Atherton wasn't happy that Moseley used a skinsuit, which being much more aerodynamic than loose clothing, would have given her an advantage.

"Fair enough to Tracy if she wants to do that to win, but for the sport and the longevity of the sport, to wear cool race kit and to make an image for yourself is more important than the odd win here and there," said Atherton.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's a weird one alright. Zabriskie wore a skin suit for Paris - Tours and no one batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    That's a weird one alright. Zabriskie wore a skin suit for Paris - Tours and no one batted an eyelid.

Oh I did..... but just at how strange he looked being the only one!

Skinsuits are like tri-suits -they may be practical, but never, ever look good

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    "Fair enough to Tracy if she wants to do that to win, but for the sport and the longevity of the sport, to wear cool race kit and to make an image for yourself is more important than the odd win here and there," said Atherton.

When I first read the article, I had to re-read that bit a few times to understand it. It's definitely the funniest cycling quote I've ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    When I first read the article, I had to re-read that bit a few times to understand it. It's definitely the funniest cycling quote I've ever come across.

So as long as we look good, nothing else matters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    So as long as we look good, nothing else matters :)

Isn't that what we all go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Looking cool and making an image for yourself gets the sponsors - by the sound of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Think I've found a picture of her from the race in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

It's funny that Rachel Atherton actually said what she did, but that's the only thing remarkable about that article. The decision all about companies being able to market and sell their shit and very little about actual biking. Kids are not going to buy skinsuits, they want to look cool in their No Fear jersey or whatever, and the apparel companies want to have the opportunity to promote their crap through racing.

That's what enables pro sports to exist (and many amateur events), we all know it, but it is rarely pointed out so bluntly. I guess because racing has so many other dimensions. These guys don't live of Sports Council grants!

She looks dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tunney wrote: »
    Quote from:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/uci-...1#post_comments
    rton.

Good thing down hill's not an Olympic sport, BC would probably kick her off the squad for a comment like that !!!
    Bring back Black Woolly tights and logos no bigger than 8x2cm
    Also White socks only, Hairnet helmets and nail on cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Women in tight fitting clothes!!! And the problem is??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jesus MTB really is a different world :D

UCI, however, remains the same.

BTW, Tunney's link didn't work for me, here is the article in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Had to google it - Rachel's gear doesn't look baggy here

Had to google it - Rachel's gear doesn't look baggy here

Thanks. Now everything makes sense.

Advertisement