Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike unfriendly traffic lights.

Options
  • 23-10-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Meant to post this a few weeks ago but wondered if others encounter this much. I was cycling out to Maynooth via Strawberry Beds and came to the traffic lights at the bridge just before you come into Lucan. For those unfamiliar with the area, it's a fourway junction. If you're coming from Strawberry Beds direction you're faced with two filter lights: one for turning left, one for straightahead. I was going straightahead. However, after the traffic light went through several sequences it became obvious that the "straightahead" filter wasn't going to go green in the absence of a vehicle much larger than my bike. There was no camera atop the lights so I presume it was one of those magnetic systems embedded in the road. Trouble was, although it was morning rushhour traffic no-one else was going my direction and I found myself literally stranded in the middle of passing traffic in which there was no break. In the end, I had to knock on the window of the car next to me, explain the situation and ask them to let me pass in front (which they did without demur).

I've subsequently realised that another light on my regular commute appears to be similarly governed but the issue rarely arises since I'm going with the traffic flow and there are virtually always cars present. The next step is to contact the Corpo but before I do so, is my interpretation of how the system operates correct or am I simply encountering freak faults in the system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

Same story turning off the N11 at cornelscourt. Usually there is cars there but when their is not the feckin lights won't recongnize you as a vehicle

it happens too at work with the automatic barrier exit for the car park. Some days it lifts for me and some days it doesn't. I might have to put on a few stone so it thinks I'm a small car

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Yes this happens in a number of places. Turning right from westminster road onto the N11 is another one. As the previous poster said at cornelscourt crossroads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

keeffe2001 wrote: »
    it happens too at work with the automatic barrier exit for the car park. Some days it lifts for me and some days it doesn't. I might have to put on a few stone so it thinks I'm a small car
    Its metal they detect, not weight.

I can't see a way around this, a camera could easily pick up someone walking on the edge of the path and trigger the lights and I don't think there is a enough metal in a bike to set of an induction coil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

rflynnr wrote: »
    If you're coming from Strawberry Beds direction you're faced with two filter lights: one for turning left, one for straightahead. I was going straightahead. However, after the traffic light went through several sequences it became obvious that the "straightahead" filter wasn't going to go green in the absence of a vehicle much larger than my bike.
    I was cycling this exact route early one Sunday morning 5 or 6 weeks ago. Same problem, except that I was onlt traffic. Just decided to go for it. Not sure how it works, but is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

ROK ON wrote: »
    I was cycling this exact route early one Sunday morning 5 or 6 weeks ago. Same problem, except that I was onlt traffic. Just decided to go for it. Not sure how it works, but is very annoying.

Happens at the top of my road in greystones. Usually the road isn't too busy so i can just break the lights. Either that or hit the pedestrian button if it's busy.

Those sensors do my head in when driving as well. Well, not so much the sensors but the morons who don't know how to drive. MOVE IN TO THE JUNCTION FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Its metal they detect, not weight.

I can't see a way around this, a camera could easily pick up someone walking on the edge of the path and trigger the lights and I don't think there is a enough metal in a bike to set of an induction coil.

I did seean instructable somewhere on how to build an electro-magnet for your bike that would set these things off but I think that might be overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

The sensors use a wire loop that works exact same way as a metal detector. Normaly set to detect a large metal object.
    I have seen them being tested with Beer kegs to ensure that they do not operate
    So not much chance if you are riding a carbon fibre bike.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Same thing wher Church Road, Ballybrack meets Church Road, Killiney. As you are crossing a dual carriageway you just have to wait.

GRR...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Yeah, the best thing to do would be to hit the pedestrian crossing button if it exists. I seriously doubt any local authority would have the time, patience (or money!!) to change their system for the sake of a few cyclists an hour or however they percieve it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Freddy687 wrote: »
    I have seen them being tested with Beer kegs to ensure that they do not operate. So not much chance if you are riding a carbon fibre bike.:D

Apparently wheel material is more important than frame material. I have read stuff like "put your bike over the bit with most wire" (which might be on left or right of the loop), or "stand with your (metal) SPD cleat directly on the loop", but I haven't tested this myself.

I'm sure the lights are the end of my road are loop operated. I generally just wait for a break in the traffic and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

The council put traffic lights at the entrance to my estate but in their wisdom placed the traffic light sensor in a keep clear section of the road. :)

Advertisement