Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware RAID - Commercial Application

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a student and am currently writing an essay on RAID. One of the questions is the current application of hardware Raid technology. I have been able to find documents online which listed commercial applications that utilize particular Raid levels for software RAID (Microsoft Windows Servers OS, Mac OS etc..) but nothing for hardware. From my research, i would be inclined to think that absolutely everything nowadays is based on one RAID level or another.. but cannot find anything to back up this assumption.
    Anyone able to help??? would be much appreciated...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

elephant85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a student and am currently writing an essay on RAID. One of the questions is the current application of hardware Raid technology. I have been able to find documents online which listed commercial applications that utilize particular Raid levels for software RAID (Microsoft Windows Servers OS, Mac OS etc..) but nothing for hardware.

Because hardware raid doesn't use any software, instead it uses custom chips and drivers written by the company's that make them. Anything you want to know about hardware raid will have to be gleamed from the hardware itself.
    elephant85 wrote: »
    From my research, i would be inclined to think that absolutely everything nowadays is based on one RAID level or another.. but cannot find anything to back up this assumption.
    Anyone able to help??? would be much appreciated...

Thanks...

You would be wrong, the majority of machines sold world wide are sold to company's for work. That don't incorporate any form of RAID. Outside of Servers, SAN's and high end pc's you would rarely see any level of RAID in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

As Cuddlesworth said RAID is still generally only used in servers or high end pc's where redundancy and /or speed justifies the cost. A sys admin will tell you his servers have RAID capabilities in case there is a disk failure and to give him better read write time with database servers etc. To get particular and specific information about hardware RAID components maybe go to one of the manufactures websites and download the spec sheets on their RAID cards, its IBM stuff I use so search for documentation relating to their add in cards, eg 7e card, 8i card.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

Thanks for your help people...

You've pointed me in the right direction!

Thanks again

Advertisement