Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Patriotic bet. (NFL).

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭

Have been mulling this for a few weeks. Any thoughts on whether the New England Patriots are overpriced at 25/1 with Paddy Powers for the SuperBowl?
    http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/superbowl-xliii

Positives.
    They carried (almost) all before them last season, 16-0 in the regular season, 2 playoff games followed by an unlucky defeat in the SuperBowl against NYGs.

Steady start this season, leaves them 4-2, with a decent set of remaining fixtures and nothing obvious to prevent them qualifying for the playoffs again (though winning enough games to secure home-field advantage may be beyond them).

Matt Cassel finally seems to have settled into the gap left by the season ending injury to star quarterback Tom Brady.

Having looked at their remaining regular season fixtures and then possible AFC playoff opponents, I'd price them up at about 16/1 so I think there is a seriously good edge in 25/1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭OpenEnded

very well thought post.

yeah i'd say backing them now and laying the off later would be a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Trampas

Only backed them to lay as they have no chance of winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

33/1 and id put a wager on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

im a patriots fan and as much as id love to see it i just cant see us winning it this year, maybe backing to lay would be ok, but we lost Rodney Harrison last week aswell and he is a huge player for our defence which has looked pretty shaky anyway tbh....hard to see us go far tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

kryogen wrote: »
    im a patriots fan and as much as id love to see it i just cant see us winning it this year, maybe backing to lay would be ok, but we lost Rodney Harrison last week aswell and he is a huge player for our defence which has looked pretty shaky anyway tbh....hard to see us go far tbh

Transition year for you this time around it looks. Cassel is doing alright but i have to wonder coming to crunch time towards the end of the season will he deliver like Brady can?

Backing to lay, perhaps this doesn't have any bearing since you'll be out of the bet come that crunch time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i just wouldnt back them at all tbh, Cassel is no Brady, thats for sure but he will become a good QB i have no doubt....the problem with going further then the playoffs, (almost impossible imo) is we are without, through injury or other reasons, Brady, Moroney, Harrison, Stallworth, Samuel, Seau and those guys were huge in the teams success last year.....

we are down to the bare end of Rb's the defence is still looking shaky and it can only get worse without Harrison, the Qb is finally bedding in but he isnt good enough to make plays ala Manning, Big Ben, Brady etc. he is more a Palmer type Qb imo and the O line is just not playing to the level it can.

I would give anybody looking to back the Pats to win the Superbowl very very generous odds if they wanted them

If they reach the playoffs and Brady returns i might change my mind lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Trampas

brady is not coming back this season. put my house on it.

Has had 3 ops already and he is back at step 1 in rehab due to infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

kryogen wrote: »
    i just wouldnt back them at all tbh, Cassel is no Brady, thats for sure but he will become a good QB i have no doubt....the problem with going further then the playoffs, (almost impossible imo) is we are without, through injury or other reasons, Brady, Moroney, Harrison, Stallworth, Samuel, Seau and those guys were huge in the teams success last year.....

we are down to the bare end of Rb's the defence is still looking shaky and it can only get worse without Harrison, the Qb is finally bedding in but he isnt good enough to make plays ala Manning, Big Ben, Brady etc. he is more a Palmer type Qb imo and the O line is just not playing to the level it can.

I would give anybody looking to back the Pats to win the Superbowl very very generous odds if they wanted them

If they reach the playoffs and Brady returns i might change my mind lol

Cheers, great detailed reply. You clearly know a lot more than me as my knowledge of injuries etc began and ended with Brady and Harrison.
    I'm still mulling it over (I'm not an impulse bettor!) and will probably just do it for fun stakes as opposed to 'proper' stakes.
    AJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldnt touch them with a barge poll, I wouldnt even be suprised if they missed theplay-offs. There division isnt an easy as it used to be, so now even games against the Dolphins are guranteed wins. The bills are top of the division, the jets are 1 game behind them.

If they dont win their division there fighting for a playoff place with the Colts, jags, jets, chargers, broncos and Ravens.

They have no run game now at all, teams can sit back and double team Moss and Cassell still looks a poor QB, he still cant avoid getting sacked and without a run game to help it's just gonna get worse.

I dont think there remaining schedule is all that easy either.

Oct 26 STL @ NE 2 weeks ago easy win, not now. Rams have a new coach and destroyed the cowboys. Pats are missing there 4best RBs
    Nov 02 NE @ IND - Huge huge game. Away will be tough but colts havent looked great either.
    Nov 09 BUF @ NE - Another massive game, could decide the division
    Nov 13 NYJ @ NE divison match, if there lucky Jets will already be out of play-off contention
    Nov 23 NE @ MIA should win this one
    Nov 30 PIT @ NE Steelers are a top side
    Dec 07 NE @ SEA easy enough win
    Dec 14 NE @ OAK should be another easy win
    Dec 21 ARI @ NE should win this one
    Dec 28 NE @ BUF If the division still havent been decided by this time this will be an epic game.

Advertisement