Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused - SPD vs SPD SL?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Well recently decided that I was going to give triathlon a go - 1st step bought a Racer Giant SCR 4 bike with SPD clipless pedals. Also decided to buy a set of SPD pedals for my hybrid. THought pedals would be good as gives dual option (ie can be worn with normal shoes)

On advice of man in bike shop bought a pair of Shimano R130 shoes on the net (for Eur 60) only to find that they are SPD SL (i.e. 3 holes) so are incompatible I think?

In summary, am left with 2 sets of SPD and 1 pair of SPD SL shoes and pretty much left with the dilemma

(1) change to SPD SL pedals to match shoes?
    (2) change shoes to match SPD clipless pedals?

Cost is pretty much the same. In terms of SPD SL whats the difference between fixed and floating.

HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you reckon you are going to get serious about triathlons and won't need to walk off the bike you could get SPD-SL pedals for the road bike, you may get slightly better power transfer. If you just want one shoe system though, and want the ability to walk in them, I would go for SPD shoes, it is what I use myself across all my bikes.

Note most online shops will take the shoes back and if it happened to be CRC you bought them from postage back is quite cheap as they are in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 santryman

Thanks Blorg. Since posting, found an adapor that converts 3 hole shoe to 2 hole cleat SPD system http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21055&subcategory_ID=2122

Hope it works

To be honest that isn't a very good idea: you end up with none of the advantages of either system and the disadvantages of both. You won't get the solid/large connection SPD-SL offers and at the same time you won't get the walkability of SPD (the shoe doesn't have a recessed cleat mount to start with and with the adapter it will only stick out even more, making the shoe completely unwalkable.)

I would definitely make a decision one way or the other and go with either system properly.

By the way meant to answer your other question- a fixed cleat will hold your foot rigidly in position while a floating cleat will enable you to rotate your foot a bit without disengaging. Generally, and especially if you are starting off, floating is a better idea.

mmm thought adaptor would be good but take your point - might keep shoe and go down SPD-SL floating pedal route. With a bit of luck the shop might take my Shimano SPD pedals as a trade

Are SPD SL easier to clip in and out of, ie less chance of a fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SPDs are much easier to clip into I find, especially if you go with double sided pedals. I have a pair of shoes with Look cleats and I find clipping out is smoother and less jerky, but you can only clip out in an axis parallel to the ground. With SPDs you can lower the tension enough so that you can clip out in any direction with sufficient force. Handy if you forget to clip out before you come to a stop.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Can you recommend a good road shoe for SPD pedals - seems to be small selection ?

Generally you want to be looking at something that will be listed as a mountain bike shoe, but maybe something more orientated towards racing without too much support for walking.

I have these Specialized Body Geometry Expert MTB shoes and they are very good for road use, very stiff carbon sole, rudimentary tread makes them walkable, more so than road shoes although you wouldn't want to be going too far. BikePlus do free shipping to Ireland over £50, there are cheaper Specialized shoes or much cheaper shoes from other brands either.

Great thing about the SPD system is the range, apart from a shoe like that you can get casual shoes, hiking-style shoes, even sandals. Some of the more casual shoes would have more flexibility in the sole to allow better walkability.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For triathlon, go SPD-SL (personally I'd go Look, but that's just me). Defintely better power transfer, and you only need to unclip once: when you get off the bike at the end. Get a floating cleat, as non-floating are a pain to adjust, or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam wrote: »
    For triathlon, go SPD-SL (personally I'd go Look, but that's just me). Defintely better power transfer, and you only need to unclip once: when you get off the bike at the end. Get a floating cleat, as non-floating are a pain to adjust, or so I'm told.

I do triathlons with SPDs and I only unclip once. What am I missing here?

rflynnr wrote: »
    I do triathlons with SPDs and I only unclip once. What am I missing here?

SPDs are ever so slightly easier to engage and a lot easier to walk in.
    SPD-SL will deliver better power transfer.

So it makes more sense to use SPD-SL over SPD for racing.

• Advertisement

SPDs are ever so slightly easier to engage and a lot easier to walk in.
    SPD-SL will deliver better power transfer.

So it makes more sense to use SPD-SL over SPD for racing.

I got that - it's the unclipping once thing that threw me.

rflynnr wrote: »
    I got that - it's the unclipping once thing that threw me.

the point is: buying spd for clip in/out advantage for racing doesn't make sense, since you only do it once.

the point is: buying spd for clip in/out advantage for racing doesn't make sense, since you only do it once.

Aha! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I previoulsy used Looks, I now use SPDs.

I'm not sure the power transfer is any different, particularly if you're using very stiff road shoes.

However, I really miss the satisfying "clack" noise I had with the Looks. The little "click" offered by SPDs is much less pleasing.

I know someone who's planning to put some Crank Bros Egg Beaters on his tri bike. These ones are only 167g:

crank-bros-egg-beater-4ti.jpg

Advertisement