Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes

Options
  • 22-10-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Found out today that I have gestational diabetes :( I am to meet with the diabetes team next week to find out what that means, what I need to do etc. Has anyone any experience? I just want to know how strict my diet will have to be, what the chances of a huge baby/need for section will be, etc.

Also, I'm in foul form now because I will have the worst christmas ever. I'd come to terms with the no alcohol, that didn't bother me, but now no roses, no pudding and custard, no mince pies.. I'm getting seriously depressed thinking about it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

A poor quackles,:(.

The most important thing for you is that they have diagnosed you and they can now strictly monitor you and your baby!!:)

I dont have much personal experience on it. But I was in hospital for a few days last week and there was a lady there who had g diabetes, she had to inject herself and check her bloods daily. She had a beautiful healthy baby girl 10lb 6oz at the end of it..

Dont try to worry yourself too much until you talk to your doctor and team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Quality wrote: »
    A poor quackles,:(.

The most important thing for you is that they have diagnosed you and they can now strictly monitor you and your baby!!:)

I dont have much personal experience on it. But I was in hospital for a few days last week and there was a lady there who had g diabetes, she had to inject herself and check her bloods daily. She had a beautiful healthy baby girl 10lb 6oz at the end of it..

Dont try to worry yourself too much until you talk to your doctor and team.

:) That's it, I'm never eating again!!! My last fellow was 8lb 7oz and that was big enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I was tested for Gestational Diabetes because they estimated that the boy was very heavy for dates. It turned out I just had a big baby. I had a section by choice but a woman on my ward had a 10lb baby naturally so if you are set on a natural birth it should still be possible.

You should still be able to eat some Christmas goodies with some modifications.

http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/Holidays_and_Special_Occasions/Christmas/

I should have kept my big mouth shut!!!:o

I should have kept my big mouth shut!!!:o

Not to worry, I've stopped hyperventilating at the thought now :)

Looby_Loo, ta for the recipies, will pass them on to hubby and tell him that he got me into this mess, so he can cook for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Poor Quackles. There's lots of nice things you can do with Splenda and it's safe to use in pregnancy.

Grawns wrote: »
    Poor Quackles. There's lots of nice things you can do with Splenda and it's safe to use in pregnancy.

I'm going to test that theory this weekend :) On the bright side, I suppose I won't put on a much weight!

So what is the story, did you get to talk to the team are you on insulin?

Will you be getting lots of scans??:D

So what is the story, did you get to talk to the team are you on insulin?

Will you be getting lots of scans??:D

Appointment is actually early next week - the GP seems to think there's no reason I can't control it with diet, though!

Fingers crossed on the scans, something good should come of this ;)

Right, I'm a human pincushion :) Have to test my blood sugar levels before every meal and 2 hours after every meal and just before bed time - looking good so far, I'm hopeful I can keep this under control with diet alone :) The diet is more strict than I had thought, have to control carbs and fats quite tightly as well as sugars. I'll be so thin when all this is over ;)

• Advertisement

Thats good news!! Glad things went well..:)

Thats good news!! Glad things went well..:)

Oh man, look at your ticker - you're so nearly there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I had gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies. The first one was diet controled... the second i had no choice but to have insulin. So not only was I stabbing myself in the fingers 4 times a day but I also had to inject myself with massive doses (to me they were) of insulin four times a day, always remembering to bring emerg. sweets with me incase i went low, training my hubby and neighbor to inject me with glucose should they find me unconcious, making sure I never ran out of lances, needles or insulin and restricting my diet so much that I lost about a stone in the last two months of preg. Even brown bread had too much sugar in it for me.

But at the end of it you have a beautiful baby and I didnt get diabetes afterwards (phew). The hardest thing is not forgetting to eat or inject yourself. The easiest way of doing this (with baby brain) is to listen to your body and learn the internal signs of a hyper or hypo turn. For me it was easy enough, when i went hyper i got very VERY sleepy, when i went hypo i began to shake (noticed hands first). But when in doubt ..... stab yourself in the finger lol.

I had gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies. The first one was diet controled... the second i had no choice but to have insulin. So not only was I stabbing myself in the fingers 4 times a day but I also had to inject myself with massive doses (to me they were) of insulin four times a day, always remembering to bring emerg. sweets with me incase i went low, training my hubby and neighbor to inject me with glucose should they find me unconcious, making sure I never ran out of lances, needles or insulin and restricting my diet so much that I lost about a stone in the last two months of preg. Even brown bread had too much sugar in it for me.

But at the end of it you have a beautiful baby and I didnt get diabetes afterwards (phew). The hardest thing is not forgetting to eat or inject yourself. The easiest way of doing this (with baby brain) is to listen to your body and learn the internal signs of a hyper or hypo turn. For me it was easy enough, when i went hyper i got very VERY sleepy, when i went hypo i began to shake (noticed hands first). But when in doubt ..... stab yourself in the finger lol.

Diet seems to be doing the trick so far, touch wood! I am losing weight again (I'm 30 weeks pregnant and no heavier than I was when I started), but I have a 'cushion' to lose anyway!!

My fear now is that it won't go away afterwards, to be honest.. I had a kidney infection in college, and the doctor sent me straight to the hospital to be tested for diabetes because of the amount of sugar she was finding. I mentioned this to the nurse in the hospital, she asked what kind of a test they took, and didn't seem to think they'd get an accurate response from the test they did (no fasting, no glucose drink, just a straight blood test). She then started warning me that gestational diabetes was sometimes type 2 that had just gone unnoticed until pregnancy. Also, I have a tendency to go hypo even while not pregnant. I would fairly frequently get the shakes and get light headed, fuzzy eyed and weak, particularly between lunch and dinner. We'll see, I suppose, no point worrying about it til after I have my beautiful, reasonably sized child in my arms ;)

Oh, and my fingers hurt :) There, moan over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I would ask them to do a GTT straight away if they have not done this already because not only will it confirm it but also it can help to determine how bad it is (if you need insulin). With my first it was the same, a kidney infection showed massive amounts of sugar in my urine (doctors were shocked lol) But it went away afterwards, so im crossing my fingers for ya.

I would ask them to do a GTT straight away if they have not done this already because not only will it confirm it but also it can help to determine how bad it is (if you need insulin). With my first it was the same, a kidney infection showed massive amounts of sugar in my urine (doctors were shocked lol) But it went away afterwards, so im crossing my fingers for ya.

Oh they did a GTT a couple of weeks ago, the blood test I referred to was a few years back, long before I became a mammy! They said my levels weren't too bad, 8.something after the 2 hour test (worse than the one hour, which I found weird!!) and my fasting levels were fine.

I really don't think I'll need insulin, fingers crossed - I'm testing 7 times a day at the moment, yesterday was the first time I came back with a high result, and my times for eating were all over the place. I'm being good today to see how I get on.

Advertisement