Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I broke my car

Options
  • 22-10-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I really need someones advice, i accidently put water into the brakefluid mistaking it for the windscreen washer. Stupid i know. What needs to be done to fix it and how much will it cost?

Any suggestions will be appreciated

B
    :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I really need someones advice, i accidently put water into the brakefluid mistaking it for the windscreen washer. Stupid i know. What needs to be done to fix it and how much will it cost?

Any suggestions will be appreciated

B
    :(

Don't Drive it anyway! Brake lines & reservoir need to be bleed and new Brake Fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Thanks for the reply, do you know how long it will take to repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose the damage if any that was done would depend on how much water you put in and whether you drove the car afterwards.

I put in less than a pint of water, havent driven the car. It happened only an hour ago so hopefully it can be fixed tomorow. fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Should be ok but don't push the brake pedal even when the car's not been used it will pump water into the system..........................

jO-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you absolutely sure it's the brake fluid you put the water into? I ask because I can't see the brake fluid reservoir being able to take anywhere near a pint of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You didn't put any fairy liquid in there with the water, did you?

No didnt use fairy liquid (thank god) and it definitly was the brake fluid, my brother was the one that realised what i had done. I havent turned on the engine or anything. So what do i do? Get it towed to the garage? Im going to Cork on Friday so im hoping it can be fixed pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the replies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The density of brake fluid is about the same as water, or maybe even slightly more. I'd get a large (bulb) syringe and try and remove as much water as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Water in the brake fluid lines is dangerous as it has a much lower boiling point than brake fluid. If the water boils it will become steam which can be compressed resulting in loss of pressure in the hydraulic lines. Brakes can get hot especially near the calipers.

You need to have the current water/brake fluid mix removed and then flushed before putting in the correct brake fluid. I'd advise against driving the car until you get this done.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, im bringing the car to the garage tomorow morning, do you know if itll be done in the same day or does it take afew days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It should only take an hour or so - especially if the garage are using a pressure bleeder. That said, while it may take an hour, the garage may want it for longer to fit it in around the rest of their days work.

Ok great, thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Something's was allready off if the brake fluid reservoir took a whole pint of water - It should normally be almost full. Probably needed a little attention anyway OP!

No worries, it won't cause any harm provided you get the fluid changed.

Advertisement