Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I call this bit...?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

need help to find out what to call a 'bit' so i can successfully search for it on Wiggle/CRC.
    It's the bolt that holds the cranks onto the bottom bracket axle. I've searched for 'crank bolt' but with not much luck. Basically said bolt on my MTB requires a socket, rather than an allenkey, which makes trailside repairs very difficult, as I discovered last saturday when it worked it's way loose somehow (very wierd feeling having it wobble around on the spindle - I thought my cleat was coming off initially, then the pedal....)

Does anyone know if there's a 'typical' threading for a square tapered (shimano) BB axle? Would something like this do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I think you'll find it's called a 'yoke' in any bike shop in Ireland... as you're looking on a UK site, try 'thingy'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No it's not a yoke - I looked through my box of yokes, no luck. And it's neither a 'bit' nor a 'bob', cos it wasn't in that box either. I don't have a box of 'thingys' though, so maybe I should get a box of them to look in.... wiggle don't do boxes of thingys though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Those self extracting bolts are a smart idea. I wish I'd had those on my bike recently.. They look like they'd work fine with the BB. I think the bolts are standard, I've used bolts from different square BBs on each other fine.

[off topic] Were you off mountain biking on saturday evening Kenmc ? Saw a very bright light approaching on the road and shouted at driver, "wow look at that bright light, I wonder if it's a fenix". It looked like you but couldn't tell in the dark. [/off topic]

no, I was home by lunchtime.
    Now see I found these on probike kit:
    X0010.jpg
    I think i need the pair on the right, it looks about right, not the pair on the left.
    But in the order form there's no way of selecting which set you get....
    Hmph.

• Advertisement

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

Those self extracters all seem to get mixed reviews - they don't tend to seem to work very well, binding up etc etc.
    I just want the standard, simple solution.

kenmc wrote: »
    I just want the standard, simple solution.

Joey D?

or

http://tinyurl.ie/201

They are definitely called crank bolts!

probably....

right so passing by cyclogical today i popped in, success, 2 euro each. cheaper even than chain reaction! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

beware of allen keys for mounting a crank - I had a new crank which came with allen bolts (not self extractors) so I used them instead of the ones which came with the bb - couldn't do more than half a mile without them coming loose and having to walk the rest of the way to work. Basically a normal allen key or a multi tool doesn't have enough leverage for the job in my experience.

• Advertisement

thanks, but I have a decent set of allen keys. My road bike has allen key ones too, have never come loose in a couple thousand KMs. I plan on getting loctite also! :D

Advertisement