Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swim instructor - galway

Options
  • 22-10-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

anyone know of a good swim instructor in the Galway area?

Someone who could do a few 1 on 1 training sessions for a novice freestyle idiot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

might be a bit expensive for a beginner but Seb is excellent
    http://www.irishtriathlon.com/sebfitness/index.htm

Seeing as that is the second time today I have mentioned Seb, I should clarify that I know him but not that well. He designed the first triathlon coaching course I did and instructed on the course as well. I rate him very highly from a scientific and personal point of view but I don't get anything out of suggesting him as a coach/teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I talk to the dude who teaches Galway Swim Team, i could ask if he does lessons if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Steyr wrote: »
    I talk to the dude who teaches Galway Swim Team, i could ask if he does lessons if you like?

yes please do

My background: This time last year I could not do one length freestyle. I spent the summer at lessons with a group and got a bit better. I have the breathing now but I am still struggling to do much more than two lengths. I am in the pool 2-3 times a week. I avg 30-34 strokes per length.
    Other folks on here have suggested that my technique is off and thus I am killing myself. I find it very hard to understand textual descriptions of suggestions for improvement and videos often confuse me too. I'd love to spend some time with a good coach to work on technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭cadburys

As this thread is a little dated, could anyone suggest a swim instructor for private lessons, improver level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EduardoSantos

KStaford wrote: »
    yes please do

My background: This time last year I could not do one length freestyle. I spent the summer at lessons with a group and got a bit better. I have the breathing now but I am still struggling to do much more than two lengths. I am in the pool 2-3 times a week. I avg 30-34 strokes per length.
    Other folks on here have suggested that my technique is off and thus I am killing myself. I find it very hard to understand textual descriptions of suggestions for improvement and videos often confuse me too. I'd love to spend some time with a good coach to work on technique.

Hi Guys! Maybe I can help you! I have few experience in swimming coach, actually I am working with Shark Swimming Club as a Head Coach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Hi Guys! Maybe I can help you! I have few experience in swimming coach, actually I am working with Shark Swimming Club as a Head Coach!

Eh EduardoSantos,

Look at the date of the post you quoted.....It was in 2008....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

cadburys wrote: »
    As this thread is a little dated, could anyone suggest a swim instructor for private lessons, improver level

Grace Ryan does a lot with Galway Triathlon Club and the Galway Masters swimming. If you would like her number I can PM it to you.

I also have had instruction from Seb and like hunnymonster said (years ago!) he is an excellent technical coach. He is very busy with a development squad and may not be available / expensive for one on one. Worth checking him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foyler

May as well piggyback on this rather than starting a new thread.

I've never had lessons but started swimming at a young age.
    In the last few years since I retired from rugby I've been doing a fair bit of open water swimming.
    Normal route is about 2k but have been up to 3.5-4k, a couple of times a week, sometimes more/less.

Basically I've watched loads of the youtube videos linked here and elsewhere and while they have been some help, my technique would only be ok and I feel I would benefit from some 1 to 1 fine tuning.
    I'm looking to build up to doing the Inishbofin or Galway Bay swim and am based in Connemara.

So I need a reasonably high level coach with some expertise in open water, I've no interest in the pool.

I actually spoke to seb through a car forum but as above he's pretty busy.

Advertisement