Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBT's 20 euro

Options
  • 22-10-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Unicare in Kilbarrack and Omni have MBT's reduced to clear at 20 euro. Normally 200 odd.

Only some sizes left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hardly a bargain when they'll damage your posture and muscles, giving you a bad back when you're older.

Don't use MBT's if you value back health. And they look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

+1 It's cause they are ghey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

eth0_ wrote: »
    Hardly a bargain when they'll damage your posture and muscles, giving you a bad back when you're older.

Don't use MBT's if you value back health. And they look ridiculous.

Are you talking from your own experience?

My wife has a few pairs and she's delighted. Bought the first pair when they just became available here (prolly 3 years ago or so) and has since had nothing but praise for them. No more backache, shoulder pains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

yeah, thats a bit of a crazy statement with nothing to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Don't have time to find any research papers on it but here's a good story from the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/apr/24/healthandwellbeing.shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

It isn't as crazy a statement as it might sound. One of my best mates is a physiotherapist and she thinks people are mad going down to their local pharmacy and buying these things. These shoes are not a new invention, rather a new brand. The technology used in these shoes has existed for years but up until now people were prescribed them by physiotherapists to address particular issues related to back pain and posture all of which is done under the supervision of a physiotherapist.

These things dramatically alter your step and posture and have the capability to do you far more harm than good if they are not what you need. People should go to a physiotherapist and discuss the best solution to their back problem, which may be a type of stretching, an insole or one of these shoes, rather than self medicating.

The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland also produced a report last year stating that they decrease postural stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I stand duly corrected (forgive the pun) :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

No conclusive evidence as far as I can tell. Keep in mind though that physios will obviously try to protect their income and profession by disclaiming all the MTB claims.

All I'm saying is that I can see the results of the shoes on my wife, and if she's happy, I'm happy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

eth0_ wrote: »
    Don't have time to find any research papers on it but here's a good story from the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/apr/24/healthandwellbeing.shopping

the reporters name is peta bee, i dont trust people with fake names. :rolleyes:

T-Maxx wrote: »
    No conclusive evidence as far as I can tell. Keep in mind though that physios will obviously try to protect their income and profession by disclaiming all the MTB claims.

All I'm saying is that I can see the results of the shoes on my wife, and if she's happy, I'm happy.;)

And all the better for her :D

My physio friend has suggested MBT shoes to people, it isn't as if the physiotherapists supply any of the shoes they recommend themselves anyway. The point is merely that MBT will do good for some people and damage to others. Therefore, before purchasing them the sensible thing would seem to be to ask a qualified person whether they will benefit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Any bargain alerts for physios to go along with the cheap shoes?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

;)Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

FX Meister wrote: »
    Any bargain alerts for physios to go along with the cheap shoes?

If your a student most IT and unis offer subsidised physio visits. so that might help some people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I was only joking but thanks for the info

Advertisement