Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Training Ideas

Options
  • 22-10-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering how do ye train during the dark and cold winter months when its really hard to get out on the bike after work......

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Get lights, bring bike to work, go for training spin afterwards. That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lights and warm stuff. Probikekit.com is having a 50% off sale on Descente stuff which I find very good quality- have ordered 3/4 and full bib tights as well as arm and knee warmers from them to supplement my existing dhb stuff from Wiggle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Spend endless mind numbing sessions on the turbo trainer:(
    I used to ride at night but had one too many bad experiences with cars, despite luminous gear and cateye double shot lights.
    Running stops the weight piling on.
    Alot of my club do spinning sessions and circuit training is always popular.

Saw Philip Duignan being interviewed on Pezcycling , he seems to play golf before restarting cycling in November

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

jollybean wrote: »
    Just wondering how do ye train during the dark and cold winter months when its really hard to get out on the bike after work......

Are you training for anything specific ie racing next season, or Sportifs?
    I'll start racing next March but will start doing a bit of easy mileage (30-60) miles November & December.
    Haven't trained for about two months, season over.

Come January our club does circuit training on the N11 (short circuit), sprint training and small group riding at speed, once a week. From January on alot of people will start interval training to build up speed for whatever.........road racing or TT'ing.

If I was to start serious training now for next March, I'd be burnt out by then.

Just my shillings worth.

Advertisement