Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Focus Cayo - Price Drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rflynnr wrote: »
    Incidentally, sterling is taking a pounding today

Not really. It's not been much above 1.26 (€/£) for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Eh? But the man in the paper, he say...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Eh? But the man in the paper, he say...

It's the Guardian.

As the graph shows, not much been happening for the last six months. I get paid in sterling, so I care!

65314.jpg

A pretty compelling refutation. I concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Edit: Actually, having looked at some stuff I've been thinking about for a bit on wiggle, the euro price seems to have become more expensive. Perhaps it takes a day for currency changes to filter through to their website?
    Rflynn- could this be because you also changed your delivery address to Ireland? They add Irish VAT in that case; it adds on 4% to the UK price.

I am considering a Focus MTB myself, maybe something like the Focus Raven 2008.

I have a Cayo myself and am very happy with it, note the prices have gone up massively in the new range and a 2009 Cayo Ultegra (most comparable to the 2008 Cayo) is priced at over €2,000, almost twice what they are selling the 2008 at. So get in now I reckon if you want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah saw these myself. think i got the cayo at a good time! Would these price increases have anything to do with their bikes officially being the bikes of Milram for 2009 and 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Bambaata wrote: »
    yeah saw these myself. think i got the cayo at a good time! Would these price increases have anything to do with their bikes officially being the bikes of Milram for 2009 and 2010?

More likely a reflection of the prevalence of the 08 among us boardsies*:D

*I have one too

@blorg - nice MTB. Are we losing you to the trails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Lumen wrote: »
    I get paid in sterling, so I care!

me too......................................... and it sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bambaata wrote: »

No it's a reflection of increased costs of bike manufacture. Prices are going up across the board, or in some cases prices are staying the same but with cheaper components instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    No it's a reflection of increased costs of bike manufacture. Prices are going up across the board, or in some cases prices are staying the same but with cheaper components instead.
    It's also due to the decline of sterling against the Euro. Things have settled in the last six months but there was a significant drop starting a little over a year ago:

5y?gbpeur=x

Focus are German and Wiggle had sorted out the pricing for the 2008 range before this drop happened; they were very keen to stick to the £999 price point on the Cayo in particular. They actually did raise the price of the Cayo in April, on the very same day I bought it, I just got in on time :D
    Order Date Monday, April 14, 2008
    Order Time 12:00 AM

I got the Cayo for ~€1,300 - saw it advertised on continental European sites for €1,899 and €1,999 so Wiggle's revised pricing on the Ultegra Cayo is actually pretty much in line with this.

Reckon now is a good time to be buying stuff from UK stores who are offloading stock purchased based on the old GBP-EUR exchange rate.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Rflynn- could this be because you also changed your delivery address to Ireland? They add Irish VAT in that case; it adds on 4% to the UK price.

I am considering a Focus MTB myself, maybe something like the Focus Raven 2008.

I have a Cayo myself and am very happy with it, note the prices have gone up massively in the new range and a 2009 Cayo Ultegra (most comparable to the 2008 Cayo) is priced at over €2,000, almost twice what they are selling the 2008 at. So get in now I reckon if you want one.

Sadly, I purchased a new road bike in September so for now the Cayo must be filed amongst the "if onlys" of my life. (Actually I'm pretty happy with the new bike so I'm not that sad.)

Advertisement