Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I doing wrong?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

I have started using my bike a lot more to get around town, but am finding that my wrists are really starting to hurt.

Yes, my bike is cheap and a bit crap, but I'm stuck with it at the mo.

The saddle is as low as it goes and I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet, so I think it roughly the right height. The handlebars dont seem to be adjustable though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

what sort of bike is it? what sort of gloves are you wearing?
    that saddle seems very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

If the saddle is as low as it can go and you can't put it any higher it sounds like the frame is too big

Type of bike?
    Rough Frame measurements
    your height
    your leg length
    a photo - of the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Tawny wrote: »
    I have started using my bike a lot more to get around town, but am finding that my wrists are really starting to hurt.

The saddle is as low as it goes and I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet, so I think it roughly the right height. The handlebars dont seem to be adjustable though.

It might be the angle the brake levers are at, if you are using the brakes regularly. Loosen the bolt that holds them and move them until they are in a more comfortable position. (Then re-tighten bolt)

I had seriously sore wrists first time I went mountain biking and it was a combination of constantly pulling on the brakes and the levers being at a bad angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

You might be gripping the bars to tightly

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Muller_1 wrote: »
    You might be gripping the bars to tightly

Would be my first thought too. Usually the people I see this happening with are relatively new to cycling and clenching the bars too tight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Your elbows and wrists should be slightly bent as well, helps to absorb shock. Its related to gripping the bars too tighly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Tawny wrote: »

Probably won't help with your wrists, but your saddle should be high enough so your leg is almost straight at the lowest pedal position. If you're just gaining confidence then you might prefer it low, but having it set correctly is more comfortable in the long run.

As the other posters said, don't grip the handlebars too tightly. Flex your wrists when you're on the move, and don't let your wrists drop below the level of the bars.

Advertisement