Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing wood turning blanks

Options
  • 22-10-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello,

I'm wondering if you could help me, I'm trying to source some wood blanks for my father who is very into wood turning. I got him some a couple of years ago from a guy in Ashford but he seems to have closed down now. I'm in the Bray area.

Thanks and sorry if you get asked this a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dubhain wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you could help me, I'm trying to source some wood blanks for my father who is very into wood turning. I got him some a couple of years ago from a guy in Ashford but he seems to have closed down now. I'm in the Bray area.
    Was the guy in Ashford by any chance Brian Walsh at Kingfisher furniture over the road from the Mt. Usher Gardens? If he's closed down, then that's unfortunate .. I got a load of blanks from him in the past, but haven't been there for a while now as I haven't been turning recently due to health problems.

I'm in Bray too, so if anyone knows of a good source of smallish kiln-dried blanks, I'd be interested too. I can get the big stuff for bowls elsewhere, but he was really handy for small off-cuts for making little Christmas nick-nacks and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dubhain

Hi Alun,

Yes that was the guy, thought it was great when i found him. His number is now not in service and my dad took a drive down that way and said it looks like he's closed down.

Where do you get the big blanks for bowls? As thats what i'm actually looking for.

Thanks

Yes that was the guy, thought it was great when i found him. His number is now not in service and my dad took a drive down that way and said it looks like he's closed down.
    Oh dear .. that's a shame! I have a mobile number for him I can PM you if you like? I assume that will still be in use, and you could ask him what the deal is. Let me know.
    Where do you get the big blanks for bowls? As thats what i'm actually looking for.
    Again, I haven't got any from him for a good while now, but I got them from Geoff Tulip http://www.tulipwoodcrafts.co.uk/. He's up north, somewhere near Newcastle, Co. Down ... quite a trek, but I go up there once or twice a year for walking anyway, so it's not a problem for me. These aren't kiln-dried sawn blanks though, if that's what you're looking for, but big rough sawn bowl blanks that will need rough turning and then drying before being finally turned. He's on here as well, and may pop in if he sees this, or you can search for his user name and PM him.

Another place worth trying is the Lisnavagh Timber Project http://www.irishwoods.com/index.htm. I haven't been there for a while either, and when I did they were just starting up and didn't have much for wood turners, but you can download their stock list from the website and see if they have anything that takes your fancy. A warning though, they're tucked away in the middle of nowhere and are a bit difficult to find!

Alun wrote: »
    Oh dear .. that's a shame! I have a mobile number for him I can PM you if you like? I assume that will still be in use, and you could ask him what the deal is. Let me know.

Yes that would be great, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks. I'll post back up and let you know. It's such a shame there are not more places that do wood blanks as turning seems to be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I have small amounts of wood which I could be persuaded to part with (for free, as I throw it out anyway!)... mainly Iroko in small sections, i.e 1" x 2" x 2 foot... also 2" x 2" x 2 foot...

I would probably also have some other hardwood in small amounts, maybe some Beech and Oak from kitchen worktops, small amount of Walnut, Maple, Hickory, Oak, Poplar... and loads of softwoods, Douglas Fir, etc... (i.e small amounts = maybe 2 bits at 2" x 3" x 9" but should be enough for small items)

If anyone is interested I am near Roundwood. Please get in touch here or by PM if interested. I would also have some larger pieces, i.e planks of solid Oak, Maple, Iroko, mainly in 1" thicknesses... I could provide these but they aren't waste from my point of view so I should really charge for these if cutting them up.

In general I would produce a black bag of waste timber, 99% softwoods, every few weeks, these all go in the fire.

Cheers
    Joe

• Advertisement

I rang Brian Walsh (he's so nice) and he said he is actually opening back up again in the coming weeks and he'll sort me out with a few blanks. So thats excellent. Glad to see he hasn't gone bust.

Thanks for giving me his number Alun.

I rang Brian Walsh (he's so nice) and he said he is actually opening back up again in the coming weeks and he'll sort me out with a few blanks. So thats excellent. Glad to see he hasn't gone bust.

Thanks for giving me his number Alun.
    That's good to hear.

@Joe Ballantine

I'm not doing much turning at the moment, but I may take you up on your offer some time. Small pieces of hardwood are always handy for little 'trinkets'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 antord

We do alot of timber here in Killruddery farm. Plenty of blanks around mostly beech, we have plenty of other local woods a saw and a kiln and can make up anything you want let me know if you are interested.

antord wrote: »
    We do alot of timber here in Killruddery farm. Plenty of blanks around mostly beech, we have plenty of other local woods a saw and a kiln and can make up anything you want let me know if you are interested.
    Sounds great .. I never knew that, and I'm literally 5 minutes away from you! Do you have a contact number I could call?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 12A

Hello
    Just signed up here, was looking around and came across this post

Have you tried ebay for turning blanks

Try this seller "bike-on-road" he seems to have some and he is in Ireland

Use advanced search and search by seller

Hope this helps

Sorry, I just noticed this post goes back to last year
    New at this

antord wrote: »
    What other woods do you do in board or plank form

12A wrote: »
    What other woods do you do in board or plank form
    Any news on what type of wood is available here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 antord

Hi there,
    Check out the new website and contact details here http://www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie/index.htm

Thanks for the link
    Is this your website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peck47

Hi,
    Just signed up so excuse my ignorance
    I am looking for Yew, Hazel, Oak etc, Bowl Blanks
    I live on the northside of Dublin, But am willing to travel outside the pale
    in pursuit of suitable woods.
    I have been told that there is a supplier in Baltinglass,
    perhaps someone may have a contact for him,
    been to Lisnavagh but they have very little in stock untill next year at the
    earliest.
    Slainte, peck47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bat7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peck47

Hi Bat7
    Thanks for the Info.
    peck47

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

peck47 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just signed up so excuse my ignorance
    I am looking for Yew, Hazel, Oak etc, Bowl Blanks
    I live on the northside of Dublin, But am willing to travel outside the pale
    in pursuit of suitable woods.
    I have been told that there is a supplier in Baltinglass,
    perhaps someone may have a contact for him,
    been to Lisnavagh but they have very little in stock untill next year at the
    earliest.
    Slainte, peck47

pm'd you details of a guy that has quite a bit of splted stuff and usually has yew (only ever seen him at woodturners guild national seminars)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just starting woodturning and looking for hardwood offcuts. Any up to date info appreciated. Just got my patriot chuck and want to try it out. South Dublin / North Wicklow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Did you go through the timber sticky at the top of the thread lists.

kadman

kadman,
    I had a look all right but they all seem to be commercial operations. I've just bought a lathe and want to get some timbers offcuts to work on so as I can judge my abilities before I start destroying expensive timbers. I was thinking along the lines of off cuts from a joinery shop. I've done plenty of metal turning just never did any wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Off to yandles next week, to get some big blanks for sale - have any of ye guys in dublin not tried Mc quillans, they now stocking some nice blanks as well. If you have no luck, ring me at the shop - W.H. Raitt - 074 9131028, and I'll try and sort you out - last year, got some lovely Goncalo Alves and Padauk blanks, as well as Bubinga, Purple Heart and Ropalq lacewood, my favorite is zebrano though, lovely grain ! All I have left now if smallish stuff - 6 and 7" diameter by 2, and some sticks - 24 x 2 x 2 and 24 x 3 x 3, but hope to buy more this week (8/9th April), with expected delivery in Donegal of around the 22nd max - anyone looking for any timber in perticular, text me on 086 8251000 at the latest Thursday night (8th April), and I'll try and get it for you while I'm over there.

I bought a couple of blanks in McQuillans. First "bowl" ended up as a jewelery dish for my daughter, the second came out ok, I think it was Ash. Picked up some 85x85x 900 offcuts of irocco and mahogany from a joiner. Going to play after breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Brian Walsh

Hi guys, this is Brian walsh and I am still alive and kicking and still in business although in a new and secret location :) You can contact me on 086 8243838. there is a board on the wall of the Ashford premises with my contact details also.I have some very good yew branchwood from 2"up to 6" or 7" dia dried for at least 8 years as well as flame beech,spalted beech in 2" boards, yew in 2" boards and others .If you need turning stock phone me,all the rumours are true,I am a very nice man. Brian

Hi Brian, good to see you on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 touchtoes

Hi, I live in Bray and am looking for a woodturner to do a small job for me. Anyone interested? Please contact me. :)

touchtoes wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Bray and am looking for a woodturner to do a small job for me. Anyone interested? Please contact me. :)
    PM sent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Brian Walsh

hi touchtoes I can turn for you spindle or faceplate work. phone me.brian walsh

Advertisement