Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find Old Maps of Kilkenny?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the right place or not, but can anyone advise me where I might find street maps of Kilkenny. I'm looking specifically at the 1940's - is there any websites I can look up? Also would I be able to find any directories (for example) of who lived on those streets? I know the census would be ideal but I don't think its available for that time frame.
    Any ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks
    bijou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

http://www.irishhistoricmaps.ie/historic/ is the Ordnance Survey's historic maps site.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Kilkenny City Library had old directories when I was in there researching many years ago. Also, the local Archaeological & Historical Society journal had directories published in two of it's volumes. Check the local studies section and go through the journal index.

Have you seen a copy of the Irish Historic Towns Atlas for Kilkenny, published by the Royal Irish Academy? It has copies of all of the maps going back hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Aelfric wrote: »
    Have you seen a copy of the Irish Historic Towns Atlas for Kilkenny, published by the Royal Irish Academy? It has copies of all of the maps going back hundreds of years.
    I completely forgot about these: they're a great resource.

Advertisement