Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Payment Method

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am buying a car from the North next Sunday and want to get the car VRT'd possibly on Tuesday, first question is can I just go in and do it on the spot (I live in Santry, think there might be one in the area)?

Also, what are the payment methods available...I don't own a cheque book and annoyingly most government bodies seem to only deal in cheques....

Will they accept laser or visa for example?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

No Visa & I think Laser only up to a maximum amount of €1,500. You could always agree a price one day & return with a banker's draft the next day. No cash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik as long as you have all the correct NI registration documents with you then you should be able to paid on the day.

Also the VRO do not accept cash, laser or credit card payments, bankers draft or cheque only afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They accept Laser upto 1500, they dont accept credit cards or cash. Bank drafts are accepted. Cheques are accepted with bankers card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I distinctly remember paying cash for my VRT two years ago, in fact I have cash on me now and I'm going in to pay it.. Saved enough and looks like the gards are starting to crack down.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

bazz26 wrote: »
    Afaik as long as you have all the correct NI registration documents with you then you should be able to paid on the day.

Also the VRO do not accept cash, laser or credit card payments, bankers draft or cheque only afaik.

Well I think all I need is an actual print out from the VRT website, that is what the VRT website actually says once you can prove the emissions....it is just annoying having to take time off work to first find out what they will charge then do it again to get a bank draft for that exact amount....most people I know my age don't actually own a cheque book....

Is the VRT calculator accurate enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I recently VRT'd a car we bought brand new in NI for the company I work for.

I printed off the VRT from the website - as the VRO office use the exact same one.

I got a cheque made payable to the Revenue Commissioners.

I took in the GF's car back in Feb and we went to the VRO with Cash, only to be told they dont accept it, we had to go around to the post office and get postal drafts.

Again the print out from the Revenue website was the same as they use it the VRO office, so I would advise getting a bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The VRT calculator does not include any optional extras that may have been specified when the car was new. If the car is relatively new, the VRT office will not allow you to pay on the spot as they will send off the VIN to their office in Rosslare, who can check for options directly from the manufacturers. They will call you with the full amount of VRT and then you can get a draft organised.

I have looked at the car, it is a 2006 and does not have any major extras...sure I'll take a gamble and get a draft for the price on the website...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

can you just print off the vrt enquiry, enclose payment and your log book by registered post and send to your nearest revenue office rather then taking time off work..thx

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I have looked at the car, it is a 2006 and does not have any major extras...sure I'll take a gamble and get a draft for the price on the website...

If the car is a BMW, Audi or Merc they will send the VIN off to Rosslare where they will check it with the manufacturer for any factory extras. You might want to ring them first rather than turning up with a bank draft short changed.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car is a BMW, Audi or Merc they will send the VIN off to Rosslare where they will check it with the manufacturer for any factory extras. You might want to ring them first rather than turning up with a bank draft short changed.

No, it is a Opel (or Vauxhall) astra 3 door SXI 1.4....nothing extra is in it....I think I should be okay....it would be great if they could simply take laser or credit card, what is the point of the limit to 1,500? If you give Laser 1,500 and make up the rest in cash I wonder would they accept that?

Advertisement