Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN Hub

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Can anybody suggest a device that I can buy to split a single LAN cable output so that 2 or three people can use the internet? Something like a USB hub but for a LAN cable.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

A network switch (unmanaged)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Thanks.

Something like this?

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=105686

l105686.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Exactly.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What type of internet connection do you have? If its something like Irish broadband you may need a router.

Oops missed that, thanks.

Yeah you will need a router to share the net not just a switch.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I am actually in an office. There is only one LAN cable and two people with Laptops.

Do i need a router in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, a switch will do. If you're in an office with an IT department, get them to sort it out. They generally don't like people putting unauthorised devices on their networks!

If you want to wait half a year then tell IT if you just want to get on with working then just plug in and away you go.

Switch will be fine in your case.

MC

Advertisement