Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm driving us insane - help!

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

About 2 months ago our next door neighbour's alarm went off. We live in an apartment - she is the very next flat to us and she would be in her 40's I suppose - she lives alone. We thought that there was something wrong so we called the guards after the alarm had not been turned off after about half an hour.

Guards came and couldn't do anything. Turns out our neighbour was away for work and the alarm was going off around the clock for over a week. We went away for the weekend and came back and it still was going off. She had left no spare key or contact number in the management office.

Finally it had been so long that the management office broke in and turned off the alarm, and changed the locks with a locksmith. They left her key for her in an envelope on the door.

When she finally arrived home not only did she not apologise to us for over a week of a constant alarm but was annoyed that the management company had to change her locks to access the alarm.

Now, it is 2 months later, and it has happened again!!!! She has gone away and the alarm is blaring. We are exhausted already and cannot bear another week of it until she comes back. What will we do??

We have contacted the management company, the guards, our landlord, (she's an owner), and threshold who haven't gotten back to us. Apparently there is nothing they can do unless they break in again but they don't want to do this because she was so annoyed the last time.

Any advice? We are so upset at the thoughts of another week of this!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm curious, after the first time, did you ask her to give you a contact who could turn off the alarm in her absence?

As for the management company being afraid of upsetting her, tough sh!t, what about you being upset for days on end?! Loose the rag with them and tell them to sort it before you go to bed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BCD

Have a look at The Department Of Envirnment web site & don't take any more of this nonsense! http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoiseIssuesConsultationPaper/NeighbourhoodDomesticNoisePollution/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

The first time we had said it to the guards and the management company and they basically handled it from there. We didn't go in to ask her for a contact as we kinda assumed she would come in to apologise and she didn't so we assumed that the management company got a contact and/or spare key.

Can we insist that the management company break in again and change her locks again?? Today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hassle the management agent. Call them during the night and see how they like being disturbed.

Then write a letter to your neighbour and ask that she makes sure to give someone access when she is away to turn off her alarm.

Don't assume someone else will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

BCD wrote: »
    Have a look at The Department Of Envirnment web site & don't take any more of this nonsense! http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoiseIssuesConsultationPaper/NeighbourhoodDomesticNoisePollution/

On the website BCD mentioned have a look at the Consultation Paper On Noise Issues about the laws they would like to bring out. My recommendation to you would be to email the address given saying you are in favor of Gardai powers to turn off alarms after certain period of time and issue fines and locksmith charges. You need to email your recommendations by Oct 31st.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoiseIssuesConsultationPaper/News/MainBody,18228,en.htm

noiseconsultation@environ.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭malpas

You need to talk directly to her asap and agree a workable arrangement ie. get a spare key? Try to keep your sanity meanwhile..ear plugs may help! OP idea about disabling alarm box makes sense but I could not advise you to do it as you'd be interfering with private property especially if seen doing it (assuming box is not in a common area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Get on to the management agent again, it's in all development rules I've heard of that alarms can only ring for a certain time. It's up to the management agent to pursue this.

Also the management agent must have a contact number for your neighbour, have they contacted her?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

athtrasna wrote: »
    Get on to the management agent again, it's in all development rules I've heard of that alarms can only ring for a certain time. It's up to the management agent to pursue this.

Also the management agent must have a contact number for your neighbour, have they contacted her?

Alarms can only go off for a certain length of time- however this only applies to alarms installed after a certain date. I had this very problem myself- and ended up initiating civil proceedings against the Management Company- as there were a number of specific articles of my 999 year lease which were being breached. Once they got the solicitors letter they sorted everything immediately (this was after 10 days of having a siren blaring).

Note: even if you demolish an external siren, often there are internal sirens too- and the noise from them can carry into adjoining apartments very easily :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

personally, I'd insist that the management company do the same thing again (why didn't they keep a key when they changed the locks last time?) and this time insist that as the alarm is obviously defective that they completely disable it so she is forced to get it replaced or just not use one.

at this stage i'd be putting an advert on the street for a free open house for burgalars to come and help themselves and i'd even give them a hand loading up their van.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Had a similiar issue, albeit not for as long as you've had. Management company said they were powerless and it was up to the owner/landlord of the apartment who they couldn't contact for 2 days. Claimed there was nothing else to be done.

On the otherhand Google Ads has kindly provided ads for locksmiths below if you're really fed up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

vibe666 wrote: »
    at this stage i'd be putting an advert on the street for a free open house for burgalars to come and help themselves and i'd even give them a hand loading up their van.
    No need for that, she's doing it already herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

malpas wrote: »
    OP idea about disabling alarm box makes sense but I could not advise you to do it as you'd be interfering with private property especially if seen doing it (assuming box is not in a common area).

Well any case she might bring against you in court for interfering with her property would be laughed out the door, all things put in the weighing scales.I mean are you required to lose your sleep and/or sanity in order to comply with the law?I would get the ladder, hammer, and wire snips out - and no apologies about it either.This is most inconsiderate on her part. First time was human error. Second time is downright negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

While i fully sympathise with you OP. Dont do anything that could leave you open to prosecution. While the Gardai may have permission to break into the property you do not (and neither do the apartment mgmt company). You will leave yourself open to civil and/or criminal prosecution for any damage done.

talk to your neighbour next chance you get to get the issue resolved amicably.

Advertisement