Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Pedals.

Options
  • 21-10-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Having finally decided to go clipless I got myself a shiny new set of pedals last week, only to find that the old ones won't budge. They appear to be seized in place and I've badly bent 2 crappy spanners I have trying to get them off.

I've tried attacking them with WD40 and leaving it overnight but it hasn't helped yet.

Would my friendly LBS have any magic solutions for this?
    Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your LBS will probably have a ten foot pole that they can use for these kinds of situations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds like they were put in without grease :(
    do they have an allen key hole in the spindle that you could use as well as/instead of the spanner? Pedal spanners are fairly heavy duty and longer, so might be better option than a crappy 'regular' spanner.
    edit: you do know the left is reverse threaded, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Freeze spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I recently had a similar experience removing pedals that had been sitting on a bike for about 8 years. One pedal simply refused to move using either a spanner or allen key. The solution in the end was twofold: 1) douse what part of the crank threads I could see with WD40 and leave it overnight. 2) Disassemble the old pedal whilst still attached to the crank. This ultimately reduced the pedal to a single bar to which I was able to apply a vice grip and finally get enough leverage to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A pedal wrench should do a better job than a normal 15mm spanner, I have broken normal 15mm spanners myself before. Use a pedal wrench with a length of tubing/pole on the handle to get more leverage. Having said all that I have a bike myself with unbudgable pedals; it has reminded me to grease in the future.

You are unlikely to get better leverage with the allen key, if your pedals have wrench flats you are best off with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Any recommendations on the type of grease to put on the new pedal? I take it WD-40 or 3 in 1 won't do.

I ordered pedals from wiggle ages ago and they still haven't sent them out. My order will cancel itself soon if they don't hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I've been using copper ease a brand of copper grease for years in mechanical stuff that's prone to seizing - I find it pretty good. Think i got my last tube from http://www.team.ie/ and this lad is selling it on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

I've been using copper ease a brand of copper grease for years in mechanical stuff that's prone to seizing - I find it pretty good. Think i got my last tube from http://www.team.ie/ and this lad is selling it on ebay

Danke

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

White lithium grease is pretty standard, available in any bike shop for around €3-5.

WEL2005.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

are you turning them the right way?
    left pedal is reverse thread and right is normal thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Another dousing in WD-40 left overnight and a massive new pedal spanner later; problem solved! Cheers for the tips folks.

Got some copper grease for the new ones so hopefully it will be easier next time round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I think I'll have to go the LBS for that 10 foot spanner. Pedals on my Trek are like they were wielded on currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

WD40 overnight worked for me too!

Finally have the SPD's on the Trek, my first foray into clipless cycling. Hope now that I won't be falling over at lights any time soon!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

seamus wrote: »
    Your LBS will probably have a ten foot pole...

ooh I wouldn't touch it with that :pac:

coat!

Advertisement