Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords House Insurance

Options
  • 21-10-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi
    If a property is burgled and items are stolen is it possible for the tennants to claim through the landlords house insurance or would they have to have had tenants insurance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The landlord can't insure items he doesn't own (or this could be open to all sorts of abuse), it is up to the tenants to have their own insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to get your own insurance. The landlord's insurance would only cover his contents. Many landlords only have property insurance and not contents insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It all boils down to a fundamental thing in insurance called insurable interest.

And the main way (only way?) to have an insurable interest in to own whatever you want to insure.

Tenants content insurance is pretty cheap, about €50. When I was renting I had a few high value items in the house so I took out the insurance.

Now I own a house and rent out some rooms. I always make the tenants aware that their items are not insured under the house insurance.

Advertisement