Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb headset question

Options
  • 21-10-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

So I got a FSA Pig Pro headset for my new build. The LBS pressed the top/bottom cups and bearings in so that's fine. Now I'm trying to install the fork. I have pushed the crown race onto the top of the fork, and I'm pushing the top ring and the compression ring down on the top, but no matter how hard I push I can't get the fork to lock in place? Am I doing something really basic wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

are you doing this by hand or using the stem bolts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

By hand. I take it I shouldn't be trying to do this by hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

well if i understand correctly (pics might help) you have the fork installed but with no stem on the top (this is all a regular aheadset type setup yeah?), and the fork keeps falling out of the frame cos the compression is not holding it in?
    Why don't you just throw the stem on and tighten it all up, thats the only way to get it to stay together AFAIK. The act of tightening the whole system up will get the compression ring into position, so that if you take off the stem in the future the fork won't fall out any more (in fact it's sometimes a bitch to get it out cos you have to loosen the compression!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pics would help alright. I've done a few bikes already and nothing will lock in place until you've got the stem on, as Ken says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Ok, I'll try it wit the stem tonight. If it doens't work I'll post pictures.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement