Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for 4 yr working visa in Oz whilst on a WHV

Options
  • 21-10-2008 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi there,

The title might be a little confusing! Sorry. But my query is this:

I am on a WHV in Oz at the moment. I have heard rumours that the Oz Government have recently in the last year made it easier for people from Ireland and UK etc, to get the 4 year working visa if they have specific skills that are on the Oz skills shortage list. I have been trying to look this up on the Oz immigration website and can't seem to find if skilled workers on a WHV can apply for this 4 year visa while they are in Oz. Do you have to apply for it back in Ireland?

The reason I ask is I know companies are hesitant to hire WHV skilled workers for long term jobs because they don't want to sponsor them.

Has anyone heard any rumours or had experiences on this topic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yes you can apply while here.

Sponsership costs $250 provided they have previously sponsered someone else. If you are a good worker and they like you they will not have a problem sponsering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes you can apply while here.

Sponsership costs $250 provided they have previously sponsered someone else. If you are a good worker and they like you they will not have a problem sponsering you.

well you need to get the company to sponsor you first, so although brendan is correct, he left out that vital detail.

and I was definitely under the impression the Oz government made it harder to sponsor people, as agencies can no longer sponsor, so although it may be easier for a company to sponsor (in fact it wasn't that hard in the first place), if you find a job through an agency and the company want to sponsor you, they will have a fork out a fee to the agency (if contracting etc) .. in some cases companies will be reluctant

Advertisement