Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best route to blanch

Options
  • 20-10-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys,

looking for some advice. Am starting a new job out in blanch this week and have decided that I might as well cycle as the bus will take hours. I coming from harolds cross and I having looked at a map reckon going across and through the phoneix park will be the quickest. I will be doing soem late night shifts and was wondering if thats a safe enough route. If anyone have any advice or suggestions I'd be greatful of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Through the park certainly wouldn't be the safest as parts are very poorly lit, if at all. However I don't think you have many other options as Knockmaroon Hill is a bit of a no go on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Safety from a traffic point of view, or safety from yobs point of view? Late at night I reckon you're best going straight down the N81 to the Quays from Harold's cross, then entering the Park through the main Parkgate street entrance and following the main avenue all the way to Castleknock. Otherwise, if you take South circular road, you're going through some fairly dodgy areas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

With good lights, the park is fine -though stick to Chesterfield Ave (the main, straight road), and don't use the cycle paths.. used to use it every day for a commute last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The cycle paths should be fine late at night considering they'd be free of pedestrilemmings? They're actually very nice paths when they're quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Through the park certainly wouldn't be the safest as parts are very poorly lit, if at all.

The park is fine and safe. Don't worry about it. Just get a good front light that can light up the ground.

Here's the route I'd recommend:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Parnell+Rd%2FR111&daddr=53.361924,-6.330872+to:Main+St&hl=en&geocode=FYa-LQMdAjyg_w%3B%3BFTCqLgMdMqGe_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&sll=53.352806,-6.299543&sspn=0.044315,0.132179&ie=UTF8&z=14

*** Note: When head'in to Blanch that turn right into the park, on Chapelizod Road is actually illegal so best to dismount maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

where exactly in blanch are you heading to? its a big place, it makes a difference if you're going to somewhere like ballycoolin or ongar.

you could always cycle down to the quays, cross the james joyce bridge, and head up through stoneybatter, then out the navan road. there's a bike lane all the way along there, and i think its slightly shorter than going through the park (although maybe not from the quays) but its not as nice. cycling through the park at night is spooky but honestly i dont think its a major safety hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is my route home, I think (except the last bit, where I head to Clonsilla).

Before the military road down to the N4 there is a fun sequence of "traffic calming measures" followed by a fun little hill (10 seconds out of the saddle).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Looking at Lumens map its clear to see the best and shortest route in my opinion. H x Bridge, Suir Road, left at Conynham Rd T junction first right into park and straight up to Phoenix monument left to blanch

Advertisement