Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on moving out for a few months

Options
  • 20-10-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

First off im really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if these are rookie questions.. I've never looked into this before...

Ok.. im 30 years old have just had the roughest 12 months of my life.. and just recently made myself a handy few bob, and with that money i can invest in a deposit for a house.. or i can get a ticket to Aus.. one of my mates is in the same boat and were thinking of going for 3 or 6 months to Aus in 2009.. so i have some questions.. again im very sorry if these are greenhorn questions... :rolleyes:

1. do we need visa's (might pick up handy jobs picking fruit etc if we need to)
    2. what sort of travel permits do we need?
    3. what months are their summer? (ie) if we went Jan - May or something is that summer over there? or coming into winter?
    4. what regions are recommended for people coming over from Ireland? to start with till we find our feet and start to meet people..
    5. If we decide 1 month or 2 months in that we want to go to NZ for a few weeks, can we just get a flight or do we need to have special documents?
    6. what sort of insurance do you need.. health etc.. for if you get injured while over there..
    7. shots? when i was in Sri Lanka i had to get shots for everything.. is it the same in Aus?

any other info would be really great, or advise on anything i have left out.. thanks for reading and i hope im not asking stupid questions here..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heathen wrote: »
    1. do we need visa's (might pick up handy jobs picking fruit etc if we need to)
    2. what sort of travel permits do we need?

Yes you need visas. A working holiday preferably as you intend to get jobs. They last for one year and you can only apply for them until you are 31 so get on it asap.
    3. what months are their summer? (ie) if we went Jan - May or something is that summer over there? or coming into winter?

It's the direct opposite of the northern hemisphere, i.e. it's coming into summer here now.
    4. what regions are recommended for people coming over from Ireland? to start with till we find our feet and start to meet people..

Go to a city. You've got a choice of Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and to a lesser extent, Adelaide. All are very welcoming and full of Irish.
    5. If we decide 1 month or 2 months in that we want to go to NZ for a few weeks, can we just get a flight or do we need to have special documents?

Yes New Zealand requires a seperate visa but you just apply for that while over here and there's no hassle getting it.
    6. what sort of insurance do you need.. health etc.. for if you get injured while over there..

Just get regular travel insurance. Any trips to the hospital are free as there is a cooperative agreement between the Irish and Australian health systems.
    7. shots? when i was in Sri Lanka i had to get shots for everything.. is it the same in Aus?

Lol Australia isn't a disease ridden third world country! No shots of any sort are required.
    any other info would be really great, or advise on anything i have left out.. thanks for reading and i hope im not asking stupid questions here..

At the age you are get applying for the visa asap. That is priority number one. Flights can be gotten easy and the exchange rate is fantastic for anyone going from euro to dollar.
    cheers

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Thanks so much Xavi6 you have nailed it all for me there :)

just on the subject of age, i'll be 31 in April and my mate is already 35.. does that mean he will have trouble getting a visa or will he be denied a visa?

thanks again

He won't get a 1 year working holiday visa. You might do but you'll have to check it out.

The only option your mate has is a holiday visa on which he will not legally be allowed to work. He could tried for cash in hand jobs out in the bush somewhere and get away with it but it's going to be next to impossible for him to get work on one of those visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

ok, cheers for all your help Xavi6 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yes New Zealand requires a seperate visa but you just apply for that while over here and there's no hassle getting it

You only need a visa for NZ if oyu intend to work here. The op asked if he wanted to go to NZ for a couple of weeks did he need a visa. You don't need one to visit. You will need a visa if you intend to work here.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

for nz, an irish citizen can stay for up to 3months at a time as long as they're not working. it's when you actually wana get some work that things get complicated... (or you fall in love ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

for nz, an irish citizen can stay for up to 3months at a time as long as they're not working. it's when you actually wana get some work that things get complicated... (or you fall in love ;) )

Damn cute kiwi blokes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

yep, get your visa before you are 31 and you have a year to use it. I got mine JUST before I was 31 last April, and still haven't used it, but it's handy, if I can go, I have till April 09 to land....

old timer that I am....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Just get regular travel insurance. Any trips to the hospital are free as there is a cooperative agreement between the Irish and Australian health systems.

Slightly o/t, but does Ireland have this type of agreement in place with many countries? TY for all that info Xavi, am planning to head that direction early next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

The only option your mate has is a holiday visa on which he will not legally be allowed to work. He could tried for cash in hand jobs out in the bush somewhere and get away with it but it's going to be next to impossible for him to get work on one of those visas.

True, but not impossible. I would say that depends on the type of work you're looking for. It is possible to get work without a visa fruit picking or in construction, it would help if you had some contacts with people already working over there. Not advising you to break the law or anything, its just incase you get stuck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I think the medical form you ned is an E111A, as far as I know its an EU - AUS thing, but dont hold me to that twas a long time ago since I had to worry bout that sort of thing, Medicare Private FTW

Medicare Private FTW

Heh, indeed :)

Advertisement