Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying top page ranking from google

Options
  • 20-10-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Just want to know is it possible to pay google to get your site to the top of the list when certain words are searched for and if so who/where do i contact. Tryed ringing google but they don't accept calls unless you need to talk to a particular person.

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thanks.

A lot of information there. However just looking for a quick method to buy or enquire about buying/paying google for preference under certain keyword searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Google Adwords. On Google go to advertising and find it there. If you spend enough you'll be top of the page among the sponsored links.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey BillyGoatGruff, as nipplenuts mentioned, Google AdWords is what you're looking for.

More information: http://adwords.google.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thats what i am looking for alright. Bit clueless:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the quick responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 RedMaxPower

Thats what i am looking for alright. Bit clueless:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Hi

Just a word of warning when using Googles adwords. The Google business model works by getting its customers (you and your competitors) to out bid each other for popular search terms - increasing the cost of each click through. You need to do a bit of research and choose some terms that are used when searching as for whatever you are advertising but (and this is the tricky bit) are not used by many competitors. There are other factors that you also need to consider so that you get the best value out of your spend with Google. If you need any more info please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hi

Just a word of warning when using Googles adwords. The Google business model works by getting its customers (you and your competitors) to out bid each other for popular search terms - increasing the cost of each click through. You need to do a bit of research and choose some terms that are used when searching as for whatever you are advertising but (and this is the tricky bit) are not used by many competitors. There are other factors that you also need to consider so that you get the best value out of your spend with Google. If you need any more info please let me know.

That's not true, Google's model is to give searchers the most relevant content, regardless if that's organic or paid listings.

Max bid is only one factor in determining where your ad is placed

zAbbo wrote: »
    That's not true, Google's model is to give searchers the most relevant content, regardless if that's organic or paid listings.

Max bid is only one factor in determining where your ad is placed

You're both right. RMP's comment can be read as "you can overspend very easily on Adwords, be careful", which is of course very true.

Remember, Google are not your friend. They're a profit seeking business, in it for themselves. If you keep that in mind you can work very well with them, but don't forget it.

You could say that about all businesses though.

The great thing about Adwords is just about anyone can get up and running - and delivering their ad to potential customers. With a little research and some testing - it can be a very cost effective method of bring in new business.

The only way you can overspend is if you don't know what you're doing, and in that case - you shouldn't be managing the Adwords or marketing budget :)

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    You could say that about all businesses though.

The great thing about Adwords is just about anyone can get up and running - and delivering their ad to potential customers. With a little research and some testing - it can be a very cost effective method of bring in new business.

The only way you can overspend is if you don't know what you're doing, and in that case - you shouldn't be managing the Adwords or marketing budget :)

I agree Adwords great and it is easy to set up and run, the problem is it may be to easy.

If you do not do the research you may end up getting traffic volume but not the right traffic. What is the point in having lots of click throughs if most of them are not converting to a sale, the only winner would be Google.
    All I was trying to say was that to get the best value out of an adwords spend you need to be diligent and do the research.

Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Furino

I think there is no any shortcut to buy rankings from Google...:confused:

Yep your right, there is no way of buying page rank for organic (natural) results. The rank of your paid link (sponsored link) is determined by the amount you are willing to pay for each click - the more you pay the higher your ad in the sponsored links section.

Yep your right, there is no way of buying page rank for organic (natural) results. The rank of your paid link (sponsored link) is determined by the amount you are willing to pay for each click - the more you pay the higher your ad in the sponsored links section.

That's simply not true, due to the ranking factors I linked to.

The only case where I would ever consider attempting to bankroll the top slots, would be if instant results were required and I needed to build a high CTR rate and improve on the quality score. This would be over a very short period of time and would be an unusual situation for me to agree to.

I know for a fact that some of the accounts I manage out ranked competitors, and had a lower CPC - due to a higher quality score and better account maintenance.

Regardless, my clients are more interested in ROI, I don't care if an Ad is returned in positions outside the top 1-3 as long as the return is healthy, but is so much more involved with a high performing account, especially in the link between ad / landing page / conversion

Barry

Hello Barry,

In my limited experience of PPC I have found it easy to waste money if an ad was placed without the proper preparation, keywords, tag lines (call to action), landing page etc. Those of you who are doing this at a professional level know and understand how to maximise the return, I on the other hand got burnt with my first outing.

I will agree with you on that.

I think a lot of it is down to people over simplfying Google Adwords, especially in a competitive market.

Just for the benefit of the other folks on here: I'd be confident in guessing that Barry (zAbbo) is one of the most experienced people on boards in terms of Google AdWords.

Trojan wrote: »
    Just for the benefit of the other folks on here: I'd be confident in guessing that Barry (zAbbo) is one of the most experienced people on boards in terms of Google AdWords.

That puts my bit of experience into perspective then.

I have a couple of questions that maybe zAbbo and others could give their advice on, the first is "What makes a good landing page" should I start a new thread for each?

Last point, I was at an Enterprise Ireland event today about online marketing, one of the statistics they quoted was that the cost of PPC had risen significantly for many of the businesses they work with.

Stick all your questions in one thread, It will it easier to read :)

I'm not familar with what way EI promote or assist businesses on PPC, but I have seen enough seminars/workshops promoting PPC to small businesses that a saturation point where they are going to be competiting in the same markets with an over simplified approach.

It's the same as any marketing channel, but the advantages of PPC are also cause for concern (easy to use / anyone can do it) when everyone tries there arm at it, it gets tighter to make a return. You'll be hearing more of "We tried PPC but it was useless and cost too much" over the next 12 months.

Of course when every small painter and decorator is rolling their own ads on Adwords - you can see where generic keywords and the extra competition will force the price up.

Search Marketing is still on the raise, when I worked in an agency, almost all clients would put more budget into PPC due to results and ROI.

Here's a guideline overview of the state of play although I would take some of those figures with a pinch of salt.

Thanks zAbbo.

Aileen O'Toole (lady in the link) was one of the speakers yesterday and she was quoting from this article. One of the other speakers also indicated that online marketing spends in the UK will surpass press spending this year making it the number two advertising medium, more significantly online marketing is expected to overtake TV in the UK next year making it the number one marketing medium.

I will start a new thread with some questions shortly.

RMP

• Advertisement
Advertisement