Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam Question

Options
  • 20-10-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Could I use a webcam to show a live game on my website ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you mean to stream a football match on your website then I would think this is illegal as you are breaking copyright and licensing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No its an amateur game that I would be involved in..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Well would you not just record the match and then convert that file so that you can upload it and stream that, having a webcam to stream it off your tv or whatever seems awkward. Im sure its possible and i would think it is ok assuming the match isnt being televised and the source is your own and not some copyrighted video footage.

I have full rights to all material - I just thought it would be a nice addition to my site to have a live stream. We could station the cam and turn in on at game times.

My question is are webcams fast enough to do this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The bottleneck won't be your cam (to an extent, it depends on which one you get) but your internet connection speed and the number of people connecting (if you host yourself).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

well camera aside , are you talking about a match outside on a football pitch??? wheres your internet connection going to come from ??? that could put a massive restriction on what you stream live!!!! unless there is a wifi connection close by ud have to use a mobile broadband solution and that just wont cut it

Sorry i misunderstood what you wanted there fully. I would say it is too much hassle really, as Aidan said you will have problems down the line with bandwidth if there are a lot of people on watching. While it would be nice to have it live you might be better off to put up the highlights yourself later and let people stream those.

Thanks for the replies...

Games will take place in an indoor arena so internet access would not be problem. Also the site is on a dedicated server.

Advertisement