Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Reboots on shutdown

Options
  • 19-10-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,
    I just built a PC with the following components.......
    Asustek S775 Intel G33 ATX GLAN motherboard
    CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Black/Silver Case
    OCZ Technology 500W STEALTHXSTREAM POWER SUPPLY
    OCZ Technology 2X1GBKIT 240PIN PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHZ SLI READY
    Asustek V-70 Low Profile Quiet Intel LGA775 CPU Cooler
    Samsung SpinPoint 320GB 7200RPM S300
    Intel quad core CPU
    some RAM and bought windows vista OS

System is great, fast etc ...One problem though...Anytime i shutdown it does a shutdown but then restarts again ....Any ideas. I have disabled all wakeup on LAN/USB/Mouse Keyboard etc etc still no joy. Help :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Apparently there are a number of options.

I suggest you have a look at this thread. It might help: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1782581&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Yeah I've been thrawling through forums....seems like plenty of folk are having problems like this but i haven't been able to find any solutions at all. All my settings for wake on LAN or PCI card are disabled.

Have you uninstalled or installed anything new?

I noticed that one chap uninstalled a latest update and that solved it. Its a possible solution too!

no i haven't. I only built the system and only had the keyboard and mouse conneced. Asked it to shutdown after loading Vista and it rebooted and it's been doing that since. When you say latest update do you mean BIOS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok this may sound a bit strange but trust me it has basis in reality. Does the PC completely power off and then power itself back on independantly if it's still plugged in? If so I think it could be that you have a setting set in your BIOS that will say something along the lines of
    'If Power Loss: Reboot / Do Nothing'

I can't remember the exact wording but I've had trouble with something like that in the past myself. It's a BIOS option that most manufacturers, asus, phoenix w/e put into the BIOSes with servers in mind.

• Advertisement

No, apparently one of Vista's latest updates has being causing this problem also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Found that an Xp machine was rebooting everytime due to auto restart on bsod before which only happened during shutdown. Simply disable auto reboot on bsod and see if that is the cause.

Achilles wrote: »
    Does the PC completely power off and then power itself back on independantly if it's still plugged in? .

Yes it powers off for about 4 seconds. Fans spin down etc but then boots up again as normal :confused:

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Found that an Xp machine was rebooting everytime due to auto restart on bsod before which only happened during shutdown. Simply disable auto reboot on bsod and see if that is the cause.

I tried that also but no joy.

Biggins wrote: »
    No, apparently one of Vista's latest updates has being causing this problem also.

It even happened before it automatically installed updates. I just installed Vista from CD . I had no connection to the net. I shut the PC down and the next thing she powered up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Burnshard

I'm sure you've taught of this already but i'll mention it just in case,

In Vista there are two shutdown options, the default icon on the menu doesn't fully shut the PC down instead it sends it to a hibernate state. Maybe the bios doesn't like this.

Try shutting down by choosing the full shutdown option by expanding the shutdown list and choosing shutdown.

Ridiculous I know, but just throwing it throwing it out there in case.

After that it definatly sounds like a bios issue, some setting is causing it to power on, check the forums for the bios to see if anyone else has encountered such.

Yes it powers off for about 4 seconds. Fans spin down etc but then boots up again as normal :confused:

Right so then that's the problem. Go into your BIOS and disable the option for (again not exact wording) 'On Loss Of Power: Power Up'.

It'll be something like that. Sorry memory's a little rusty as it's been a few years since I've had to deal with a problem like that.

No sorry dudes but power up option is set to off Burnshard I have been doing the full shutdown from the list :) I'm pulling my hair out at this stage. I'm gonna try and check the

anyone ?

Hrm strange that one. I know a mate of mine after his first PC build was having the same problem (and still is). He calls it his Phantom PC. I don't think we ever did come up for a work around for it.

I'm out of ideas, sorry :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Hrm strange that one. I know a mate of mine after his first PC build was having the same problem (and still is). He calls it his Phantom PC. I don't think we ever did come up for a work around for it.

I'm out of ideas, sorry :-/

No probs mate...Thanks Anyway
    TonyM. wrote: »

That problem seems different to mine. My PC is not constantly rebooting.
    When i ask it to shutdown it does but then starts up again after about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

A few years ago all Compaq laptops in our company restarted when we shut them down. Turned out a service pack had knocked out the power management software, solution we reinstalled the power management software on each laptop, prob fixed.... longshot but worth looking into

Guys you're not getting it. His computer is COMPLETELY shutting down... ie fan's spinning down... power completely dead. Then it powers itself back up.

A mate of mine's PC still has this problem and we were never able to resolve it...

Achilles, You don't happen to know what make motherboard your mate had?

• Advertisement

Achilles, You don't happen to know what make motherboard your mate had?

Not off the top of my head but I could find out for ya...

Yeah, If it's no hassle. I'm just trying to find somethig that might be common to both setups. I have an Asus MoBo BTW. :)

i have just put XP back on the PC but guess what....same story. System reboots on shutdown. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

well i have an Asus mobo and if i change the memory timings the computer cuts out for a few seconds before it reboots.

Stupid suggestion i know but is your on / off button on your case connected to the reboot terminals on your board ??

Probably not .

Yeah just called him, it's an Asus mobo. I should have known that as I originally sold him the mobo (worked in Peats at the time...).

TonyM. wrote: »
    well i have an Asus mobo and if i change the memory timings the computer cuts out for a few seconds before it reboots.

Stupid suggestion i know but is your on / off button on your case connected to the reboot terminals on your board ??

yeah i thought of that too. had a look and it's connected correctly.

Probably not .
    Yeah just called him, it's an Asus mobo. I should have known that as I originally sold him the mobo (worked in Peats at the time...).

I wonder is it the motherboard?

All signs seem to be pointing that way somehow...

pity iu can't change the thread title. Seems more like a motherboard issue than a software issue now at this stage. I might try and gather some info in the Asus forum.

Advertisement