Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single speed prep

Options
  • 19-10-2008 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Thinking I might eventually relent and get a singlespeed, I thought I'd start training myself and just stick to one gear on my hybrid. Only done 20 km this way, but actually I am finding a certain logic to it.

Forgive me if this sounds newbie-ish, but some initial thoughts are:

- Yep, I go slower, no doubt. But let's say it's not considerable i..e instead of 25 mins, I get there in 30.
    - Speed is way more constant. Nearly 20km/s all the time (40Tf-16Tr gear used).
    - I suppose there's less rush. I don't bother racing lights. Certain laziness creeps in .. stop at more reds :-) Spend more time observing.
    - I notice the less torque required. Exercise seems to be more aerobic as opposed to anaerobic (hills excluded).
    - Less sweat raised.

It comes across as much safer cycle and less competitive cycle.

I think I'd need to be in a certain mood to do it.

Just some thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

stabu wrote: »
    Thinking I might eventually relent and get a singlespeed

are you talking/thinking about going fixed you mean, or just singlespeed?

fixed is where the drivetrain is 'locked', i.e. the sprocket on your back wheel cant freewheel, if the wheels are in motion then the cranks always have to be as well. singlespeed means pretty much what you are doing at the moment, i.e. just one gear but you can freewheel.

riding fixed is great. it takes a bit of getting used to, and be prepared for a couple of shock jolts when you forget to move your legs (and the bike will do it for you), but go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

sorry flickerx, I should have mentioned that I'm only considering single-speed freewheel.

Yep I know about the fixed - another totally different cycling experience I expect.

Just don't want to want to spend 500 euros and after 3 month, see it collect rust. My brother has a Rockhopper in the house ... pretty much a furnishing ornament at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

stabu wrote: »
    sorry flickerx, I should have mentioned that I'm only considering single-speed freewheel.

no problem.
    i'd go for it. personally i recommend you get yourself a flip-flop rear wheel, this is where the hub has a singlespeed sprocket on one side and a fixed sprocket on the other, so you can switch it if you feel you'd like to give fixed a go after some time doing singlespeed. the specialized langster comes with this type of hub, a few people here on the board have these and like riding them (search for it for further details), myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@stabu, I would certainly suggest fixed over singlespeed, although even SS has benefits in terms of simplicity, maintenance etc. You are right that it doesn't slow you down much overall. 40-16 (67.5") would be quite an easy gear though, most fixed/SS bikes would be a bit more than that enabling you to go a bit faster (my own for example is 46-17, 73.1", and I can get up hills with that OK.) It is of course up to you though regarding what you are comfortable with. Are you considering converting something or buying a new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You can convert your current hybrid to a singlespeed for about €30 or so. You'll need a cog for the rear and a chain tensioner.

Instructions here:
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx#ssConversionsHowTo

If you're not happy with it you can always put your gears back on. And if you like it you can go and buy a dedicated singlespeed frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement