Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB flash drive - 16 GB for €27

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Kingston is a good name too.

I was chuffed with my self for getting a 32gb for about the same price from eBay. even after i plugged it in... until i copied 4gb of data that i didnt have a backup of and checked it the next day :(

Might get one of these.

Thanks !

Edit: Ordered too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks, ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I have just received an email confirming it's shipped.

same... the first word that stood out to me was Unfortunately (i dont know why)... wasnt happy !

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm being pedantic here, but if you want free shipping on this product then mymemory have it. However it costs £20.95 so it's exactly the same price.

Can't provide link as the site is down right now but it's no1 on their best sellers list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

jayteecork wrote: »
    I'm being pedantic here, but if you want free shipping on this product then mymemory have it. However it costs £20.95 so it's exactly the same price.

Can't provide link as the site is down right now but it's no1 on their best sellers list.
    Link:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Kingston/Kingston-16GB-DT100-DataTraveler-USB-Flash-Drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dvd.co.uk is cheaper if you're ordering more than one. ;)

mymemory's 'free' shipping is reflected in a much higher price for the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Just bought 2 and cost me €49 including delivery. Great!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭pjjk

Does anyone know the copying speed? I bought a 4GB in my college the other day and it would take 5-6mins to copy 100MB. Painful!

it says its Hi-Speed USB which is USB 2.0 so in theorey 480 mbps, so about 60 MS/s
    make sure you plug it into a USB2 USB slot on the PC too.
    ive plugged USB stuff in before and it tells me that its only working as USB 1.1 (alot slower - 1.5MB/s)
    </geeky stuff>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

3.8 MBs / Sec write speed, which is not great, would take approximately an hour to fill a 16 gig drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

samhail wrote: »
    it says its Hi-Speed USB which is USB 2.0 so in theorey 480 mbps, so about 60 MS/s
    make sure you plug it into a USB2 USB slot on the PC too.
    ive plugged USB stuff in before and it tells me that its only working as USB 1.1 (alot slower - 1.5MB/s)
    </geeky stuff>

Thats the bus speed for USB2. At the mo, there are drives that push 35 MBs / Sec read speed (theoretic max is actually about 47MBs / Sec due to overheads).

Always much slower writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

16 GIG - Nice. Must get one - Handier than lugging around a portable HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pjjk wrote: »
    Does anyone know the copying speed? I bought a 4GB in my college the other day and it would take 5-6mins to copy 100MB. Painful!

One site said the 16GB was
    Write Speed: 20x (3MB Per Sec)
    Read Speed: 40x (6MB Per Sec)

And the 4GB could be even slower.

This one is £1 more (incl delivery) and faster
    http://www.dvd.co.uk/Hw/Transcend-16GB-JetFlash-V10-Green-USB-Pen/TS16GJFV10/product.htm
    Transfer Speed: Read 25 MByte/s, Write 12 MByte/s (16GB)

I checked the transcend site and the smaller sticks were slower in the same range, that is why I am guessing smaller kingstons might be slower too. And of course they estimate the fastest time, your 100MB in 5min is 0.33MB/sec, might not be a fast USB port.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The kingston arrived today and I'm very happy with it.

Took around 30 seconds to copy a 700MB file onto it.

yeah got mine too. looks good... not like the 32gb for €30 i got off ebay !

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I bought 8gb Kingston.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

How long did You wait for delivery from mymemory.co.uk??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

rubadub wrote: »
    This one is £1 more (incl delivery) and faster
    http://www.dvd.co.uk/Hw/Transcend-16GB-JetFlash-V10-Green-USB-Pen/TS16GJFV10/product.htm
    Transfer Speed: Read 25 MByte/s, Write 12 MByte/s (16GB)
    This looks good but says 1-2 weeks for dispatch!

Anyone know any others of this speed that are good value and quick delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

jayteecork wrote: »
    The kingston arrived today and I'm very happy with it.

Took around 30 seconds to copy a 700MB file onto it.

Got mine the other day too, seems fine! Price actually worked out @ just over €25 when showing on my credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Did anyone pick up the Transend one whats it like? which one would be best to buy?

Zascar wrote: »
    This looks good but says 1-2 weeks for dispatch!
    Never noticed that when ordering. It arrived on monday, ordered on 23/10
    apollodjs wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the Transend one whats it like? which one would be best to buy?
    Thats the one I got, retractable usb bit and no cover. Comes with a detachable strap too, haven't done a speed test on it yet though. Looks and feels good, and lifetime warranty.

Had it in a linux device known to be choosy and it worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Any chance of a speed report? is it big?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How's the size? I'd prefer one like this Lexar Jumpdrive from MyMenory really, but its not nearly as fast and speed is a big deal when you have such large capacity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

How's the size? I'd prefer one like this Lexar Jumpdrive from MyMenory really, but its not nearly as fast and speed is a big deal when you have such large capacity...

Same conundrum here! too difficult to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Got it there. Excellent bit of stuff.:)

apollodjs wrote: »
    Any chance of a speed report? is it big?

Dimensions : 64mm x 21mm x 10mm
    Data Retention : UP to 10 years
    Weight : 11g
    Certificates : FCC, CE, BSMI
    Transfer Speed : Read 10 MByte/s, Write 3 MByte/s (below 4GB);
    Read 20 MByte/s, Write 8 MByte/s (8GB);
    Read 25 MByte/s, Write 12 MByte/s (16GB)
    * Note : Speed may vary due to host hardware, software and usage.
    From here http://www.transcendusa.com/products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=131&LangNo=0

It is quite small. I will do a speed check later tonight or tomorrow. Any suggestions? I was thinking a load of mp3s, and then maybe a dvd .iso image.

writing
    189MB in 13sec 14.5MB/s this was a single ISO file.

848MB in 247sec 3.43MB/s this was a mix of mp3 wma and itunes, most around 4 or 5MB

375MB in 25sec 15MB/s this was 2 ISO files.

reading the same 375mb back onto the HD took 14sec 26.8MB/s

Thanks for that Rubadub.

So do you think the extra speed that would be gained from the Transcend would be worth the fact that it is bigger and uglier than the lexar? I want something small enough to go on my keys.

• Advertisement

So do you think the extra speed that would be gained from the Transcend would be worth the fact that it is bigger and uglier than the lexar? I want something small enough to go on my keys.
    Probably is the case, always a trade off if they are the around same price. I look at it and think, wow, how do they fit 16GB on that. But then I look at my miniscule 8GB microsd card and think FFS I should have a couple of thousand gig on it! If you really want something tiny you and get tiny microsd card readers, I got a 8GB card yesterday class 4 kingston for €15 delivered, and a reader is only €2

The lexar is 49.70mm x 20.75mm x 10.50mm, so is not too much smaller than the transcend 64mm x 21mm x 10mm

I did not want a cap on mine, as I always lose them, the transcend is retractable
    TS16GJFV10.jpg
    And you could probably hook the plastic loop on the end onto your keyring.

Advertisement