Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the different between 32bit and 64bit

Options
  • 18-10-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

just wondering what is the different between the 32 and 64 bit windows vista home Premium, i have a 64bit Processor. but not sure what os to buy for the system. can anyone help me.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

is the answer to whats the difference between 32bit and 64bit... 32 bits !!! ???

sorry...

If it were me i would go for the 64bit version of windows.
    when 64bit came out most applications were not designed to use the full 64bit so 32bit was emulated on the CPU.
    Im sure since then alot of software is being rewritten.
    but it would be better to invest in the 64bit version now...

actually...
    32bit http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354185
    64bit http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354066
    Are you really asking should you invest €4.50 and go with the 64bit version rather than the 32bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you use the 32 bit version, then the os will only be able to use around 3.5GBs of ram. 64bit will allow you to use a hell of a lot more. That's pretty much the only difference you need to worry about. Apparently it doesn't matter if you have a 32bit or 64bit version as the license key will let you use either version. e.g. If you buy a 32bit version you could install the 64bit version and still use the same license key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cathal66

and would that be ok for a pc that has no os on it. like what does OEM mean. does it make a different?

thank again for the help

I actually didnt notice that ! :)

when i think of OEM, the phrase "NOT FOR RESALE" somes to mind. i assume that since komplett is selling them though that they are legal to be resold.
    Maybe Komplett have bought the OS's under OEM license to be resold. *shrugs*
    im sure someone would know the technicalities of it ? would be interested.

but if komplett are selling it, i would be happy to buy it. (can email them before just to make sure if you like too)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The license for oem versions differ to the retail version. They can only be used on the motherboard that they are first installed. Saying that I doubt microsoft police it that much. You also get no support from Microsoft with an oem version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have a look at this article explaining the differences. Its not majorly informative, but it does the trick.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/hardware/2006/20060824_32_bit_vs_64_bit_systems_whats_the_difference.htm

Some applications will offer you both, others wont.

Another link: http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/2314

Sully wrote: »
    Have a look at this article explaining the differences. Its not majorly informative, but it does the trick.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/hardware/2006/20060824_32_bit_vs_64_bit_systems_whats_the_difference.htm

Some applications will offer you both, others wont.

Another link: http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/2314
    Both of those articles are rediculously out dated. e.g. Saying vista 64bit causes more headaches than xp 64bit. Vista 64bit is incredibly stable, actually has drivers and can actually at the point where the likes of hp are actually shipping it on some of their desktops. There's no need to stick with 32bit anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I would not hesitate in recommending 64bit to anybody now. More and more people are hitting the 32-bit memory ceiling now with the utter cheapness of RAM. I've been running Vista x64 for a year and a half with no problems. I play all my games and stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

OEM licences can only be sold with a pc so in order to get it at that price you have to buy the bones of a pc with it. i.e. Mobo

/edit
    From komplett site.
    #
    OEM

For the customer, OEM is basically the same as Bulk, but the meaning varies according to the Trademark under which it is sold.

Intel's OEM is intended for sale to manufacturers and contains processors with a reduced guarantee period, no cooling fan, etc.

Microsoft uses it to describe software that must be previously programmed when installed by the manufacturer, or sold together with a hard disc or motherboard.

Chance ordering it by itself first if it doesn't work stick a harddrive or mobo in there. Extra chepo if you dont need one.

I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Both of those articles are rediculously out dated. e.g. Saying vista 64bit causes more headaches than xp 64bit. Vista 64bit is incredibly stable, actually has drivers and can actually at the point where the likes of hp are actually shipping it on some of their desktops. There's no need to stick with 32bit anymore.

It explains it correctly, even if the vista comments are outdated. Still though, there is a good chunk of people that are unhappy with Vista (me not included, but I rarely use it :p).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction.
    Microsoft remove a restriction on OEM windows :eek:

The only time I can remember that was when windows server 2003 allowed you to downgrade to windows server 2000. Windows server 2000 did NOT allow you to downgrade to NT4. Apart from that the OEM terms and conditions get a little more restrictive on each revison.

What has happened is they don't enforce the oem agreement as tightly as they should ,some claim this is entrapment and they will go after people later. There was also a change in license or policy can't remember which where it's now the purhaser of OEM held liable for the license terms rather than the reseller. This is like the banks transferring liability for credit card fraud to you since chip and pin came in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Microsoft remove a restriction on OEM windows :eek:

The only time I can remember that was when windows server 2003 allowed you to downgrade to windows server 2000. Windows server 2000 did NOT allow you to downgrade to NT4. Apart from that the OEM terms and conditions get a little more restrictive on each revison.

What has happened is they don't enforce the oem agreement as tightly as they should ,some claim this is entrapment and they will go after people later. There was also a change in license or policy can't remember which where it's now the purhaser of OEM held liable for the license terms rather than the reseller. This is like the banks transferring liability for credit card fraud to you since chip and pin came in

They have you know ;)

Either way you could have got round it by purchasing a kettle lead along with your OEM disc. It used to be that you had to purchase hardware (non specific) in order to be eligible for the reduced price OEM disc. :D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Just to add another point of view. Alot of people seem to be buying windows 2008 server and using that instead of Vista Ultimate. Its alot more stable. it can be converted into a workstation(enabling all the sound and graphics etc). only problem is its alot more expensive. as in £450

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Seems like an utterly pointless exercise to me. Vista and Server 2008 share the same codebase. They share the same monthly patches, drivers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

OP, the difference between 32bit and 64bit is that the system will be able to move data in 64bit chunks in one go rather than 32bit chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Stephen wrote: »
    Seems like an utterly pointless exercise to me. Vista and Server 2008 share the same codebase. They share the same monthly patches, drivers, etc.
    True, but all indications are WS2008 is faster than Vista, example (supposedly MS even stated it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They have you know ;)

Either way you could have got round it by purchasing a kettle lead along with your OEM disc. It used to be that you had to purchase hardware (non specific) in order to be eligible for the reduced price OEM disc. :D

-
    did you read the bit in my post where I said "What has happened is they don't enforce the oem agreement as tightly as they should ,some claim this is entrapment and they will go after people later." or when I posted "There was also a change in license or policy can't remember which where it's now the purhaser of OEM held liable for the license terms rather than the reseller."

at no time has microsoft ever intended OEM to be used on any other motherboard than that it was purchased with, with the one exception of a motherboard replaced under warranty by the manufacturer

just because you could buy oem with "hardware" doesn't make it legal
    oh yeah microsoft don't use English they use microsoftese , words like "remove all" means leave hundreds of files and all the settings behind, and hardware means motherboard when you dig down.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125
    MORE INFORMATION
    Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty. The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the computer manufacturer. The EULA relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual computer.

Understanding that end-users, over time, upgrade their computers with different components, Microsoft views the CPU as the one remaining base component that still defines that original computer. Because the motherboard contains the CPU, when the motherboard is replaced for reasons other than defect, a new computer is essentially created. Therefore, the original OEM cannot be expected to support this new computer that they did not manufacture.

Windows Vista home Premium [n.] - A sixty four bit port of a thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Sully wrote: »
    Still though, there is a good chunk of people that are unhappy with Vista

I find the majority of those people have attempted to install Vista on
    an older system which came out before vista was released. This is a
    particular problem with laptops and lack of drivers.

I have not heard any complaints about it running on new systems,
    other than the usual UAC comments from those that don't disable it.

I'm using 64bit myself and the only real difference I notice is that I now
    have the full 4gigs of ram available. Other than that it runs as smoothly
    as the 32bit version I was running earlier. Quite happy overall tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

Windows Vista 64-bit links and factoids

32-bit vs. 64-bit Vista comparison table…
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/04/differences-and-advantages-between-32-bit-x86-vs-64-bit-x64-windows-vista/

32-bit means it can only “see” 2^32 (2 to the 32nd power) = 4GB memory spaces.
    The computer has to be able to see the RAM + VRAM + other devices on Motherboard, etc.
    e.g. If you have 1GB VRAM and “other devices” takes up 0.3GB, you will only be able to use a max of 2.7GB (4 - 1 - 0.3 = 2.7) .
    In this case, if you install 3GB, you waste 0.3GB…if you install 4GB you waste 1.3GB!

This one's a bit technical, but it describes some of the nitty-gritty of 64-bit technology.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/10/16/64-bit_more_than_just_the_ram/1
    If this is any indication that 64-bit is the wave of the future and 32-bit will be “obsolete”…

There appears to be a shift taking place in the PC industry: the move from 32-bit to 64-bit PCs.
    We've been tracking the change by looking at the percentage of 64-bit PCs connecting to Windows Update, and have seen a dramatic increase in recent months. The installed base of 64-bit Windows Vista PCs, as a percentage of all Windows Vista systems, has more than tripled in the U.S. in the last three months, while worldwide adoption has more than doubled during the same period. Another view shows that 20% of new Windows Vista PCs in the U.S. connecting to Windows Update in June were 64-bit PCs, up from just 3% in March. Put more simply, usage of 64-bit Windows Vista is growing much more rapidly than 32-bit. Based on current trends, this growth will accelerate as the retail channel shifts to supplying a rapidly increasing assortment of 64-bit desktops and laptops… PC Accelerators built into Windows Vista, such as Windows SuperFetch, improve performance by keeping commonly used programs in memory, even when the program is closed. More memory capacity on 64-bit PCs allows SuperFetch to do its job more efficiently.
    http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/07/30/windows-vista-64-bit-today.aspx

Understanding how SuperFetch uses RAM to enhance system performance…
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=735

Windows Vista - SuperFetch & ReadyBoost
    http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/29/windows-vista-superfetch-readyboost.aspx

Considering this, SuperFetch is probably the most significant feature that distinguishes Vista from all other OS's for users of all walks. Many other features won't be noticeable or even used by the common person (that is until commercial developers start using WPF/WFC etc., and even more DX10). So why not take advantage of it since RAM is so cheap?

This is a huge 32 vs. 64 thread I participated in once in the CNET community if you want to go through it. There's many links and insights and heated arguments there.
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=298600&start=0&tag=forum-w;forums06

Some interesting hardcore 64-bit info:
    ...all 64-bit versions of Microsoft operating systems currently impose a 16 TB limit on address space and allow no more than 128 GB of physical memory due to the impracticality of having 16 TB of RAM. Processes created on Windows Vista x64 Edition are allotted 8 TB in virtual memory for user processes and 8 TB for kernel processes to create a virtual memory of 16 TB.
    http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

Some info on a popular title in 64-bit…

Adobe Photoshop® Extended and Acrobat® Pro natively support 64-bit editions of Windows Vista. Adobe Premiere® Pro, After Effects®, Soundbooth®, Encore®, and Adobe OnLocation™ are certified on 64-bit Windows Vista.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/systemreqs/

Adobe CS4 is 64-bit only on Vista. OSX have to wait for CS5 or something like that when they catch up.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Adobe_CS4_will_be_64bit_but_only_on_Windows/1207258861

To put things in perspective, this is what 64-bit does...

What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?
    In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/?promoid=DRHXB

Nice one rasmasyean ! good reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

samhail wrote: »
    Nice one rasmasyean ! good reply.

Yeah? So where's my "thanks point"??? Or whatever that stupid button does... :P

Advertisement