Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a good 1TB NAS HDD

Options
  • 18-10-2008 6:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good value 1TB NAS HDD?

I had my eye on this but the two reviews listed have put me off somewhat.

I'm hoping to use it to both back up files and as a storage point for streaming across computers (and my 360 hopefully, but not sure if that's possible yet!) - for the sake of avoiding a worst case scenario I'd like it to have 2 500GB drives but that's not absolutely vital.

Obviously I'd like to get something for a good price - I'm thinking slightly above or below the €200 mark is what to expect and naturally I'll pay the extra for a brand with a good track record but the lower the better, naturally.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You forgot to link the item you were looking at!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Actually someone recommended this to me the other day :
    http://www.iomega-europe.com/section?SID=c48a2c0c961a8550edf51886707aa0d0f8d:4735&secid=40380
    €279 + free shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is it a NAS you want or a HDD?

For NAS I recently got this which works great. I got it because it supports NFS but if that's not necessary for you then this gets good reviews too. You'd have to buy a hdd or two for these also. I got a Samsung Spinpoint myself - good reliable drives. If you're getting two drives get two different ones - if you want to RAID them you're better off not having the same models in case they both come from the same faulty batch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You forgot to link the item you were looking at!

MC

Whoops... it's this one:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332166

Should have been clearer on what I wanted - I was looking for a NAS device with the storage as part of the package; I guess it makes more sense to simply buy the device and HDDs separately, though!

@Macros42 - that second one doesn't seem to have a price with it but it looks interesting... that said NFS would be a nice thing to have, although the USB ports the one you bought sports are even more attractive as it would give my network a bit of added flexibility.

I have issues with the My Book. It's advertised as 1Tb when it's actually 2*500Gb in RAID0. One drive fails and you lose everything. You can reconfigure it as RAID1 but then it's only 500Gb.

Secondly, although it says that "you'll have a surprisingly simple and secure way to access and share data and photos at home, in the office, and anywhere in the world" it limits what files you are allowed access anywhere in the world. All multimedia files are blocked from external access. That's not their job. I didn't even consider this box for these reasons.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    I have issues with the My Book. It's advertised as 1Tb when it's actually 2*500Gb in RAID0. One drive fails and you lose everything. You can reconfigure it as RAID1 but then it's only 500Gb.

Secondly, although it says that "you'll have a surprisingly simple and secure way to access and share data and photos at home, in the office, and anywhere in the world" it limits what files you are allowed access anywhere in the world. All multimedia files are blocked from external access. That's not their job. I didn't even consider this box for these reasons.

Just use IP access and forward on to it from your router, DRM avoided...

DONE!

MC

Not the point. If they are advertising something and the small print is preventing you doing it then on principle I won't buy it. But the other reason is just as big an issue - 2*500Gb is not 1Tb if you want redundancy.

Have the same device and it works fine.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is there a 1TB hard drive available that doesn't need an external power source and isn't huge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Macros42 wrote: »

This is pretty much what the reviews on Komplett told me and the reason why I've gone off buying one - was very close to doing so too.

One of the reviews even suggested you can only access it via the web-portal even if you're computer is connected to the same network, which seems especially odd to me.

• Advertisement

flogen wrote: »
    This is pretty much what the reviews on Komplett told me and the reason why I've gone off buying one - was very close to doing so too.

One of the reviews even suggested you can only access it via the web-portal even if you're computer is connected to the same network, which seems especially odd to me.

nope you just map it like you would any network drive.

MC

Advertisement