Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc wont boot up HELP!!!

Options
  • 18-10-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I installed 4gigs of ram in my pc last night vista 32bit. Booted up fine and showed the extra ram so no problem. Went for a smoke came back and could not get the pc out of sleep mode. So shut it down from the wall and started up fine again. Then later on the screen just went blank and now when i try boot it up nothing happens.

Any ideas what caused this to happen.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe try taking out the new ram, see if there is any difference

where is the pc stopping, is there any life out of it?

is the pc making any noise like its loading windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

eolhc wrote: »
    maybe try taking out the new ram, see if there is any difference

where is the pc stopping, is there any life out of it?

is the pc making any noise like its loading windows?

When i turn it on you can hear its on but its not making any noise like its trying to load windows. I'll take out new ram and put old ones back in and see what happens.

Right.

Put old ram back in and boots up fine. So any idea why it wont boot with the new ram?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

incompattible?
    Is it DDRM 1 or 2 type?

Biggins wrote: »
    incompattible?
    Is it DDRM 1 or 2 type?

ddrm2

• Advertisement

Have you tried turning off the hibernation system? Maybe its not working in conjunction with the ram for some reason!
    What make is the RAM by the way?

Can I suggest the following:
    Try and borrow someone's else ram temp-wise and slot theirs into your slot(s) and see will the problem return.
    If it don't (which I suspect) then you know for sure its the fault of the ram.
    If it does occur again, its a fault of the system, possibly the BIOS not liking or Vista being the usual pain in the backside.

Either way, you will be able to narrow down the source of the problem a bit more.
    Do you have a friend with DDR2 Ram that you could borrow for 10 minutes? It would answer a few major questions for you.

Biggins wrote: »
    Can I suggest the following:
    Try and borrow someone's else ram temp-wise and slot theirs into your slot(s) and see will the problem return.
    If it don't (which I suspect) then you know for sure its the fault of the ram.
    If it does occur again, its a fault of the system, possibly the BIOS not liking or Vista being the usual pain in the backside.

Either way, you will be able to narrow down the source of the problem a bit more.
    Do you have a friend with DDR2 Ram that you could borrow for 10 minutes? It would answer a few major questions for you.

I'll see what i can do thanks for your help.

Let us know how you get on, if necessary, folks here will try and help more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wouldnt recommend moving RAM about willy nilly, can damage it doing that.

Whats your PC make and model? Also, on the old piece of RAM there should be a little sticker on it with some information or it might be printed on it instead. Can you type that out for us?

Cheers.

Just a quick update.

Found tonnes of info and thousands of people that had the same problem. Its a problem with vista that wont let you upgrade it to 4gigs of ram. There seems to be some hotfix out for it but have not tracked it down yet.

Anyway i just put 3gigs in and it is running fine so will do with that untill i find out more on how to fix it.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help guys;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Interesting, hadn't heard of that issue before, but if your using 32bit vista I think the max memory it will use is about 4gb minus address space used for other hardware which equals somewhere around 3gb, so 4gb ram probably not much performance gain over the 3gb
    I've heard from one or two people theres not that much point going over 3gb on a 32bit windows system
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

32bit Windows can only address a total of 4 gb's ram. This includes memory set aside for system addressing (say 256mb), gfx card memory, sound card memory, cpu etc etc.

So it's 4gb minus the above that will be "available" to you so most people won't get much if any performance increase over 3gb.

That said, Vista shouldn't crash or hang with 4gb installed, should just ignore any it can't use so that isn't your problem.

Never heard of this problem before either so please let us know if/how you fix it.

I did know about the 3 gig limitation with Vista. A friend bought 4 gigs and he had a similar problems trying to understand where one gig went to!

I am too, currently looking for a fix for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Check the BIOS version on your Mobo, there may be an update required.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement