Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox/IE Trouble

Options
  • 18-10-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Hi, my family are having trouble with both Internet Explorer and Firefox on their PC. IE crashes straight away when you launch it and Firefox might last a little while before it too crashes. The internet connection is fine. Laptop, Wii all having no trouble. It's Windows XP SP3, with the most recent (non beta) versions of both Firefox and IE, both uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm not too concerned over IE because everyone uses Firefox, both since both are displaying similar symptoms I'd like to fix both.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have you tried uninstalling it and then re-installing?

Tried any of the other browsers like opera or chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Have you tried using any anti-virus software ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For both to be effected at the same time suggests that its something underneath the core code of both.
    In other words, something is suspect in the operating system itself as you have indicated with SP3.
    However, with SP3, at the very least Microsoft Explorer should have worked with their own update.
    I suspect that you need to run an anti-virus (two different kinds if you can manage it) AND ad-aware (which is free) which will hunt out any spyware/malware also.
    The files in the C:\windows\system\system32 dir might be compromised or damaged after a viral attack, especially the DLL files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hi, thanks to everyone for the replys.

I thought it was maybe a virus too and did a complete scan with Avira AntiVir. This picked up a couple of threats which were quarantined but the problem remains. I'm going to do a scan with ad-aware now so I'll see how that goes. For the record I have yet to get Firefox to crash again so happy days! But just to be sure I'd like to fix it properly. Btw Chrome also works fine without crashing so far.

Make sure you select "Full scan" and not the "Smart Scan" option, to be on the same side.

Chrome might work fine 'cos it was installed after the other files were effected by something previously already resident, done its attacking and damaging DLL files, etc. A new installation of Chrome would replace some of the previously effected files and/or work off separate system files completely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Firstly, id suggest getting a new anti virus. These days there not to expensive and those that charge are usually good. Recommendations: Kaspersky and NOD32 (both have security suites or just plain anti viruses).

Secondly, its slightly odd that if a virus was a result of browser trouble. Would there be a certain type of website your visiting each time maybe? Try launching the browser and going to Google. Wait and see it if crashes.

Thirdly, You could always try going into Safe Mode on Windows and launching the browser. This will determine if a process or service that is loaded is causing problems. (Start -> Run -> msconfig. On launch, go to BOOT.INI and click "Safe Mode with Networking". It will ask to restart, do. Do the above test, then do the same process to disable Safe Mode and reboot to get back into Windows).

Biggins wrote: »
    Make sure you select "Full scan" and not the "Smart Scan" option, to be on the same side.

Chrome might work fine 'cos it was installed after the other files were effected by something previously already resident, done its attacking and damaging DLL files, etc. A new installation of Chrome would replace some of the previously effected files and/or work off separate system files completely.

Yeah I selected full scan. Luckily I have my eeePC so in no rush :D Firefox also seems to be fine now after the reinstall.
    Originally Posted by Sully
    Secondly, its slightly odd that if a virus was a result of browser trouble. Would there be a certain type of website your visiting each time maybe? Try launching the browser and going to Google. Wait and see it if crashes.
    Well IE just crashes before it even loads any page including Google. I really hate paid-for Anti Virus though. Especially Norton! Tbh I prefer to rely on my own common sense and to this day I've had a virus or malware on my computer. Unfortunately this is my family's computer so I have no control over what they do. (Not pron, dodgy flash game sites most likely).
    Thanks for the suggestion about safe mode though, I'm going to look into it when ad-aware finishes.

Thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avira is a great anti-virus, very high detection rate, use the free version myself also, run some malware scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware in safe mode and Avira also

Its a good idea to run Ad-aware (or any other similar application) in safe mode by the way. In normal mode some system files are locked out from scans due to their being used by windows at the time.
    A safe mode scan will increase detection ability in more system files.
    If you know how to do it and IF your confident in your actions - turn off the "System Restore" also as viruses can remain hidden in those too. If the scan then reports that they are clean at scan completion, reboot the pc into normal mode and turn back on "System Restore"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that anti virus software ignores most malware unless you buy option exta modules / programs :mad:

get spywareblaster and spybot search and destroy and run them as well to check for another quarter million different malware apps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sounds to me like there is a system file corrupt. Try running sfc. Click start, run and then type in:

sfc /scannow

Note: You will have to have a windows CD ready to insert, if there are files that need to be replaced.

Run that, and try IE and FF again. Let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Uninstall Flash and disable the flash plugin in Firefox.

Try and start IE and Firefox again and let me know if the issues continues

syklops wrote: »
    Sounds to me like there is a system file corrupt. Try running sfc. Click start, run and then type in:

sfc /scannow

Note: You will have to have a windows CD ready to insert, if there are files that need to be replaced.

Run that, and try IE and FF again. Let us know what happens.

Well for better or worse IE is now working again thanks to this suggestion. Luckily I seem to have convinced my family on the merits of Firefox anyway but its nice to have a backup. :D Many thanks syklops and everyone else for your help.

Advertisement