Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not sorting out severe damp problem

Options
  • 18-10-2008 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

recently moved into a new house back about june and over the summer the room was fine but since the weathers been getting worse theres been terrible damp in my room, its started to develop as mold all over my clothes and personal belongings and has destroyed quite a few items.
    I notified the landlord about this over a month ago and he came out and had a look at it and suggested i leave the window open, now its starting to get cold and I don't want to have to leave the window open all the time at this time of year. I called him about it again a week later and he said he'd asked an architect friend about it and that he'd said there was nothing you could do, but like my stuff is getting destroyed and I'm sure theres something he could do.
    its gotten to the point now wheres theres black mold growing around teh window frame and he won't even answer my calls, what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd recommend starting to look for somewhere else to live.
    Sounds like the landlord will eventually do something to fix it, but not without much heel dragging, and given there are various health issues associated with mould
    (http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/biol_hazards/iaq_mold.html) i'd not hang around and wait.
    My girlfriend used to live in a house with severe mould in one of the bedrooms and anyone who lived in that room while she lived there always had chronic colds and coughs, apparently from the damp.

In theory you can report the place as not meeting minimum housing standards, but either way you'd likely have to move out while the problem is fixed, if it's as severe as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can if you wish make a complaint tot he housing department of the local council.

You do need to ventilate the rooms somewhat to reduce humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

You could ask him to buy a dehumidifier for you (or buy one yourself). They are a like a little blow heater only they suck the moisture out of the air and collect it as water in the tank. They are dear though - from about 60 euros upwards. They do a great job. Not sure how it'll affect the electricity bill though. Best long term solution is to think of moving. Or text him telling him you will buy a dehumidifier and deduct it from next month's rent. To fix the damp he'd probably have to do some major work on the walls of the whole house meaning you couldn't stay there anyway. If he's your usual landlord type he won't bother his arse, he'll just let you leave and get someone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭malpas

sadie9 wrote: »
    You could ask him to buy a dehumidifier for you (or buy one yourself). They are a like a little blow heater only they suck the moisture out of the air and collect it as water in the tank. They are dear though - from about 60 euros upwards. They do a great job. Not sure how it'll affect the electricity bill though. Best long term solution is to think of moving. Or text him telling him you will buy a dehumidifier and deduct it from next month's rent. To fix the damp he'd probably have to do some major work on the walls of the whole house meaning you couldn't stay there anyway. If he's your usual landlord type he won't bother his arse, he'll just let you leave and get someone else...

Excellent suggestion..also ventilation is critical as problem is often due to lack of it in newer double-glazed houses. Wardrobe heaters are excellent and safe/cheap to use..I use them on a north facing wardrobe in winter. Landlord is responsible for ensuring house is habitable & must take steps to resolve problem. Another option is to take a case against him via the PRTB. Start this process by writing to him, outline the problem giving him opportunity (2 weeks?) to resolve and if no satisfaction proceed with your case...fee is only €30 I think. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Mate of mine had this problem in Waterford.

He gave out to the landlord -- her response was to buy him a dehumidifier which had to be left on 24-7 (at his expense).

The mould still didn't go away (crappy new-build concretey job).

He simply refused to pay the rent, upped sticks and moved elsewhere.

Hasn't heard from her since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Keep on at the landlord. Some of them are w@nkers. In our last place the landlord wouldn't fix a thing and would always blame us for any problems with the flat. He'd come in to inspect the fault and stare around the place going "What have you done to my flat?" The missus is in her mid twenties and I'm early thirties (no kids) we didn't throw wild parties or anythng. Just lived in the place.

By the time we moved out we were afraid to say anything to him. The toilet wasn't flushing, the sink in the bathroom was blocked and the lights in one room weren't working, we'd replace them then the people upstairs would walk across the floor and they'd go again (we had to buy a lamp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zeus faber

I was in a an old house and "the damp" started in september, one option moveDe-humidifier's can over dry air leaving you with a sore throat in the morning,a possible reason for this if its a new build is no vent in the room, builders taking short-cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I had exactly the same problem years ago when I was renting in town OP; clothes and other possessions destroyed with damp and the resulting stinking black mold. I'd been asking the landlord for months to do something about it but he preferred to pretend the problem didn't exist. My child's asthma became chronic with it and that was the last straw; I just got the hell out of there fast. My advice to you would be simply to move. Some landlords are just scumbags and couldn't give a damn about anyone or anything other than their rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Johnnyghia

This is a good read, sound like condensation to me. http://www.dampstore.ie/Condensation.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

i know nobody wants to hear this but more often than not damp and mould are actually caused by the habits of the person living there. Not opening windows. Blocking up vents. drying chlothes inside. Using the wrong type of heating etc.

Its almost always possible to get rid of damp by finding out what causes it and airing the place out yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement