Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a NAS drive..

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:02pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭

Right,
    I had a 750 GB Buffalo nas that packed in on me,
    I'm looking for a replacement and am kinda wary of getting another buffalo one.
    I would like to have gigabit network and easy backup and maybe torrent functionality.
    Maybe a raid 1 setup would be benifical.
    Over 500GB is needed for my data.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've 1tb and 2tb Buffalo NAS units and they are troopers. Wouldn't hesitate to buy Buffalo again.

Did you reboot yours every day? The initial spin-up of a HD can take it's toll over a period of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

NAS should not be turned on and off alll the time just rebooted if needed for the above reasons.

MC

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mine was rebooted once a week and gave up after 2 months.
    Was a great bit of kit when it worked, maybe I just got a bad un??...

Are you sure it isn't just a PSU problem? Have you removed the drives and tried them else where? You should be able to mount them using a Linux box as I think the Buffs use a linux kernel at their core?

MC

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tried that with buffalo support.
    The fan got knackered and caused the drive to heat too much and fail.
    I've sent it back and got a full refund already.

• Advertisement

Sweet, that they refunded you not that it melted ;)

Advertisement