Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help me? Under what circumstances can I have a TV but not need a license? I'm seeing slightly different info depending on where I look. citizensinformation.ie states that if I have a TV (even a broken one) that is capable of getting a signal, I need a license. But it also states that if I watch TV on my computer I don't need one. So if I have a HDTV hooked up to my PC, what do I need to do to ensure I don't appear on one of those poxy radio ads about licenses? Is showing the clear lack of satellite dish and/or aerial enough? Couldn't I conceivably be watching TV with some rabbit ears that I hide every time someone comes to the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Once you own equipment capable of receiving television or radio signals, you are required to purchase a license. The 'but not if you're watching on a compootar' clause was with on-line streaming, etc. in mind.
    /wanders off wondering re: "poxy radio ads" ...did their scaremongering actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If your TV or monitor is capable of receiving a signal, you need a license..

End of..!

EDIT: Damn you K!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

basquille wrote: »
    If your TV or monitor is capable of receiving a signal, you need a license..
    I guess my grey area is in your use of the word 'capable'. Technically, every single TV and monitor is 'capable' of getting a signal depending on if you hook it up to an aerial, a tv tuner card, a sky digi box, whatever. If I threw away my TV tomorrow and bought a new one, but left it in the box sitting on my couch, it's still capable, so I would need a license?

I think you're probably right, I'm just trying to get it all laid out. I know that about 20 minutes (seriously) after I moved into my new gaff I had an inspector at the door asking about my license. I had to bring him in and show him my TV sitting in the middle of the sitting room floor to explain that while I was going to get a license, I wasn't currently watching TV at all. I think he still thought I was trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

corblimey wrote: »
    I guess my grey area is in your use of the word 'capable'. Technically, every single TV and monitor is 'capable' of getting a signal depending on if you hook it up to an aerial, a tv tuner card, a sky digi box, whatever.
    Not every monitor is... if the monitor was designed with a tv tuner - then yes;you need a license. Otherwise, if it's a bog-standard monitor, no.
    If I threw away my TV tomorrow and bought a new one, but left it in the box sitting on my couch, it's still capable, so I would need a license?
    You kinda answered your own question with your little story, but yes. You need one. It's equipment designed to receive television...it's "capable" of receiving television.

Advertisement