Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HardDrive format problem?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a 160GB hard drive which I removed from my Pc two years ago when I upgraded it to a new larger 250GB model. Before I removed it I backed everything up and ran DBAN across it several times as I planned to chuck it. Anyway It went into my "box of tricks" and got left there until today when I needed storage, so I bought an external shell case which I tested with another hard drive and it works perfectly and my plan will work out much cheaper than an external HD in these recessionary times!

Anyway I tried to get it to talk to my laptop which is on Vista and had no joy. I know it is full of 1's and 0's from DBAN, but I wonder is there a utility which will bring it back and allow me to format it as I just need it for storage.

I have an external HD which once got corrupted and a tool made specifically from Iomega formatted it for me.

Any ideas?

Would Gparted be anygood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can't hurt (GParted that is)

Try here:

http://hddguru.com/

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Well Gparted didn't work and after buring the Live CD and all All I got was EDD EDD=Off whatever that means!

I tried that in my XP Desktop, when I attach it to my Vista Laptop it recognises it but wont allow me to format it or anything only gives me an error message. Which I will post in a few mins after I try a few more ideas!

Still no joy, I got Gparted running eventually! on my Vista laptop and it failed to format it to FAT32, I won't give up yet and it now no longers shows up in either XP or VISTA.

No I didn't actually use the software you recommended at all. I used Gparted version 0.3.9-4 it is 98MB and I downloaded the.iso file and burnt it as a live cd using iso recorder which imbeds itself into the shell specifically for .iso files and cannot actually be opened live winzip or winrar it is available when you right click a .iso file.

I have used iso recorder for ages as I use it to create live linux cds, but there are several versions available. Some of the newer burning suites such as alcohol 120% can handle it no problem. There is a list here.

My original problem was that I tried formatting it to Fat32 but on my 2nd attempt I formatted it to the windows standard NTFS and it formatted 160GB in about 30 seconds, it was done already by DBAN 2years ago but was just kind of hidden and nothing I had could mount it.

Anyway I am delighted I now have a 160GB external drive for the price of an external case €40 and I'm very happy with it plus it is a nice aluminium case with a fan and external powersupply.

The best part is it cost me nothing and all the software is freeware which is completely free to use and getting a pro to do it would have cost a fair penny.

Thanks for your help MunsterCycling! I hope this thread is an asset to someone is in a similar situation!

• Advertisement

NO probs, thats what we are here for , to help each other...
    ;)

Advertisement