Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big bullet shell thingys

Options
  • 17-10-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all, our charity shop received a donation of two big bullet shell thingys, really heavy with a load of numbers on the bottom of them.One has 1951.Has anyone any idea what theses are (I thought they where Vases for flowers). And more important how much are they worth and where would we sell them.
    thanks a million,
    Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Cathy,

it would be great if you could post some pictures. They are probably artillery shells but we would need to see them to be able to say more.

I am not sure if they are worth much. If it was a German 8.8cm however, I would consider them quite valuable. No false hopes though, as the year 1951 excludes them from being an original WWII 88mm. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi ya, thanks for the reply.
    The numbres written on it are
    Bullet thing No 1
    B with an arrow going through it
    NP but the p is coming out of the N, if that makes sence?
    1/52 40 mm and L/60on the end its like a disc thing with the B with the arrow going through it and 5201

The other one has1951 and lots of other numbers, ECC,S4 in a square, 12 MKN4 2-52 2 it 35 0/5 .
    I have put them beside a copy book so you have an idea of their size.
    Hope that helps, Thanks again,
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

cathy01 wrote: »
    1/52 40 mm and L/60on the end its like a <snip> thing with the B with the arrow going through it and 5201

Sorry, what? :eek:.......:p

oh my God!!Im going to edit that so NO one can it, I mean to say disc thing.Its a thing that looks like a disc.I cant believe I just done that.
    cathy:o

Anyone, should I post on a different board?thanks,
    cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Tututut, Cathy.... :D

Anyway, yes, artillery shells but we'll need someone who collects the post-WWII type. I am sur ethere are some people on here who could help you but give it time. Not everyone is around these days. You could always post a question over in the military forum and link to this post here for the pictures. They deal with more modern material. ;)

ok, great idea, will do,
    cathy

I'm afraid I'm not of much help really. I cant imagine they are 'that' valuable, maybe a few euro's a piece. It'd be a different story if they were WW1 or WW2 vintage, then of course they would appeal to a broader range of collectors, but 1955 isnt very exciting really, nothing much happening them days :p.

The 1951 is only on one of them?
    I would still love to know where they came from???
    cathy

Ah, sorry, meant 1951. Just had a quick look about and given that they are 40mm they are probably from a bofors anti aircraft gun, so they possibly could have been used here, or perhaps in the UK, you mention an 'arrow' as one of the markings, that could be a British Broad Arrow (a goverment stamp). Can you get a close up of the bases of the shells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Hi CroppyBoy, they are Bofors shells alright, 40mm for L 60 guns. The arrow through the B is the Bofors stamp. Some more details in the thread on the military forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57644111#post57644111

ok, so they are bofer shells from uk,L60 guns.
    It would have to be a very big gun.is it like a tank gun .
    so when would they have been used..if anyone lives near balbriggan and wants to have a look pm me please.
    thanks,cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

cathy01 wrote: »
    ok, so they are bofer shells from uk,L60 guns.
    It would have to be a very big gun.is it like a tank gun .
    so when would they have been used..if anyone lives near balbriggan and wants to have a look pm me please.
    thanks,cathy

Hi Cathy, L 60's are primarily anti-aircraft guns. The Irish Defence Forces used them for a long time so that's it's most likely origin. As for selling them, you may get a good price on eBay or on a militaria site, seening as they're in very good condition and nicely polished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Historian1

I found a used bulletshell that is encripted with these letters W.N.Y
    9 1905, 6-Pdr E.C.P after these letters it has an anchor symbol followed by S.P.F. If anyone out their has some information to share with me I will appreciate it alot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I would only be guessing but the anchor suggests its an american naval shell,a six pounder been one of the main weapons used by the U.S on its naval ships around the turn of the century,as for the S.P.F again a guess it may stand for Springfield armoury,any photos??

Advertisement