Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rut-hitting attitude

Options
  • 17-10-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Is there anybody who, like, isn't afraid of ruts, because - you know, when you can't avoid them - like, they're really good at truing their wheels back quickly (spokewrench)? Or maybe they know how to vary their weight distribution at the last minute to avoid "feeling the metal"?

There may even be people who even like them .. they may even brighten many a daily - otherwise boring - commute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... sorry, what's a rut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Is this a Ross O'Carroll Kelly'isk skit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Generally it is possible to distribute your weight so that neither wheel takes too much of a hit; I would generally have the back wheel at least off the ground going over something.

... sorry, what's a rut?
    It's something you get stuck in- but in this context think pot-hole. "I feel like I'm stuck in a pot-hole."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

If I'm understanding correctly, you're right - it's largely about your weight distribution. Pull up on the handle bars for the front wheel and bring your weight towards the front of the bike while lifting the back a bit for the back wheel.
    It's also important to go a bit slower too - it's very difficult to time all of this perfectly if you're hammering it towards a kerb or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

a rut is an abrupt change in surface level perpendicular to the direction of bike motion.

road cracks, drains, even pavement kerbs can all constitute ruts. They dent your wheel, loik.

ROCKesque, definoitly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

stabu wrote: »
    ROCKesque, definoitly.

Haha, grand so. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, try and lift off the front wheel and then the back wheel.

I generally try and go around them though, makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A nicely timed and well executed bunny-hop can get you out of a rut, or more importantly: it helps you avoid them. It impresses the girls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Is there anybody who, like, isn't afraid of ruts

Yes, my bike has steering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    A nicely timed and well executed bunny-hop can get you out of a rut, or more importantly: it helps you avoid them. It impresses the girls too.

Wish I could impress the girls.... </grumble>

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a rut is an abrupt change in surface level perpendicular to the direction of bike motion.

Ruts are parallel to bike direction, unless you're crossing the road.

As in this:

DSCN7129-bike-in-bigger-rut-close_800x600.JPG

eta: doh! I suppose the change in level is perpendicular, but then it's not a rut without at least two changes in level (one would imply a kerb). I'll shut up now, I'm even boring myself.

I found my first attempt at mountain biking very counter-intuitive; I had to unlearn all my obstacle avoidance skills and instead get comfortable firing the bike directly at stuff, trusting the fork to look after it for me and get me over :D

Parallel ruts you just have to make sure you cross at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible; the corpo went and laid miles and miles of these down a few years ago throughout the city centre and stretching out as far as Tallaght and Sandyford. A hazard no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    Parallel ruts you just have to make sure you cross at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible; the corpo went and laid miles and miles of these down a few years ago throughout the city centre and stretching out as far as Tallaght and Sandyford. A hazard no question.

Yeah, I first came across these on Hatch St in the wet the other day, and almost came off. They are positioned perfectly for cyclists.

Lumen wrote: »
    Yeah, I first came across these on Hatch St in the wet the other day, and almost came off. They are positioned perfectly for cyclists.

I almost came off trying to rejoin the coastal cycle path at St Annes where you have to run the dice with traffic. I was trying to catch ScottReynolds and wasn't paying attention to the surface. It has a nice rut running down the middle :)

Does anybody have any tips on how to bunny hop? Even over small speed bumps, my attempt just seems to drive my back wheel into it harder than I would have if I took it easy :o

Does anybody have any tips on how to bunny hop? Even over small speed bumps, my attempt just seems to drive my back wheel into it harder than I would have if I took it easy :o

I can only do it in clipless. Are you in clipless?

Raam wrote: »
    I can only do it in clipless. Are you in clipless?
    Yup - SPDs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

years of practice on a BMX means I can do it on flat pedals too. but clips or spds help big time. The idea is to jump up and forward, this brings the back wheel up with you too, if you just jump up you typically just lift the handlebars which lift the front wheel off the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement