Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speedometers

Options
  • 17-10-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone

First post on this forum, but i have been lurking for a while :D and find the site full of good information and entertainment.

Something I was wondering about ... while driving on the M50 i have been watching the speed clocked on their speedometer boards and comparing it to the display on my car speedo (only when i am a good distance from other cars so the boards dont pick up the wrong car), anyway i have been keeping a close eye on my speedo and comparing it to the board.

When i have been doing 65, or 70 km/h the boards have been reading 60, 63km/h. The boards always seem over by around 10% and so I was wondering is it just the speedo in the car being set to read higher then actual speed (which i assume it is) or are the boards over estimating in order to get people to stay slow.

Do manufacturers set the speedo over on purpose or is it just loss of callibration over time?

Incidentally when i was just approaching a board the other night someone flashed past me in the outside lane. The board read 150km/h :(

Thanks for any info

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The speedo is calibrated slightly higher so that the company can't get blamed for you speeding if it was set lower!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Could be either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,886 ✭✭✭✭unkel

tin79 wrote: »
    First post on this forum

Welcome to boards.ie :)
    tin79 wrote: »
    Do manufacturers set the speedo over on purpose or is it just loss of callibration over time?

We've covered that regularly here. See this thread. Summary:

Any speedometer can legally only indicate anything between the real speed and the real speed + 10% of the real speed + 4km/h. Example: a real speed of 100km/h must be anything between 100km/h and 114km/h indicated on the speedo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I passed 2 boards on the M50 yesterday that, compared to both my SatNav and speedo, were out by 5-10KMph.

I think those signs are meant more as a deterrent (in the form of "look how easy it is for us to know if you're speeding") rather than as an accurate representation of your speed.
    I don't see how something as rudimentary as those signs could be expected to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hi

Thanks for the replies, and the link Unkel.

i wonder what the speed detection method on the boards is, is it laser based or more like Gatso technology?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I always presumed it was radar, but I know nothing about these kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Radar detectors pick them up on radar bands

Advertisement