Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Problem

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I built a machine last night based on an Abit VI7 board with via chipset, it works fine but I've got a little problem regarding usb. It's enabled in the bios and works fine with usb mice, keyboards, lights, whatever. But whenever I plug in a usb drive, nothing happens - not recognised even. I've also tried a wifi usb adaptor, it is detected, but when I try to install drivers they just fail or freeze. I downloaded usb 2.0 drivers from the abit website, but these are specified for SP1 and whenever I install them, Windows refuses to boot full stop.

Any ideas? Bit of a pain as I built it for my girlfriend to do college work on, which obviously requires the use of a usb key.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The only thing I could think of would be the usb ports failing to provide enough power for the devices. Don't suppose you have a external Usb hub that's self powered to test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't but I can get one to try - not expensive to get a pci card either but right now I've even more annoying problems to worry about - I have a Radeon FireGL card, and it works fine in safe mode but once I install the official ati drivers, it crashes about 5 seconds into use. grr. now to wait about a week to get a cheap 8mb agp card from ebay. :mad:

Advertisement