Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Rate Change

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

half way through a 5 year fixed mortgage and was wondering if I wanted to go variable what the story is with

1) Being allowed to
    2) How you go about it
    3) Penalties involved
    4) anything else I should know

thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

won't be feasaible

imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

thanks for the reply but any chance you'd elaborate ?
    Not feasible for what reason exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Depends on the original agreement with the bank. You should be able to change over however you will probably have to pay a penalty for breaking from the fixed rate early. I think normally you will have to pay a percentage of the interest of the remaining fixed years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

alxmorgan wrote: »
    thanks for the reply but any chance you'd elaborate ?
    Not feasible for what reason exactly ?

banks like money
    if what you want to do will make you a saving then it will loose them money
    so they will penalise you the amount that they will loose plus a bit more for being clever

you are on a fixed rate for x years this maens thery couldn't put up the rate when the ecbrate rose now the ecb rate is dropping they will noty be putting the variable down as much as they would have if you were on say a tracker yet the penalty will be as harsh as if you were switching to a tracker (no trackers any more)

if you send me the t&c i'll read it for you and tell you how much you'll loose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Hey all,

half way through a 5 year fixed mortgage and was wondering if I wanted to go variable what the story is with

1) Being allowed to
    2) How you go about it
    3) Penalties involved
    4) anything else I should know

thanks,

surely if you fixed your rate 2.5 yrs ago you would be on a lower rate than the current variable, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

sweetie wrote: »
    surely if you fixed your rate 2.5 yrs ago you would be on a lower rate than the current variable, I would have thought.
    Was thinking that myself, but i guess it depends on the bank / loan / property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

You're right of course at the moment I am below the variable rate and happy with that.

To be honest I was just wondering about it if interest rates happened to start to fall rapidly.

I guess I was also thinking about what would happen if we moved house

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the OP is above the rate, he might be able to get out with a pretty low penalty. Ask the lender.

Advertisement