Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is NOT changing in 09 but may have originally planned to?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

As above. Who is NOT changing their car now having planned on doing so?

I had some cash saved up as I don't have a car loan and put a bit aside monthly as if I was paying a car loan to fund my next purchase.

With the way second hand prices have fallen I have decided not to change my 06 car in 2009 as I dont believe that I will get "value" for money changing with the market so depressed.

I am going to ride out this recession with my existing car and have just made a lump sum into my mortgage reducing the term. I plan to do the same again in 6 months time.

I'll review things in 2010 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Kafer wrote: »
    As above. Who is NOT changing their car now having planned on doing so?

I had some cash saved up as I don't have a car loan and put a bit aside monthly as if I was paying a car loan to fund my next purchase.

With the way second hand prices have fallen I have decided not to change my 06 car in 2009 as I dont believe that I will get "value" for money changing with the market so depressed.

I am going to ride out this recession with my existing car and have just made a lump sum into my mortgage reducing the term. I plan to do the same again in 6 months time.

I'll review things in 2010 ;)

you are obviously talking about buying a brand new car?

ill change in 09 but itll be selling a s/h car and buying another, therefore my cost to change should remain the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I was planning to change to a TT (not new) but I think I'll have to leave it for a while, mostly because of the levy on petrol. I commute from Tullow to Sandyford daily, so I really don't think changing into an even thirstier car is going to be an option for me at the moment.

I've been looking for a job closer to home for months, if one should materialise any time soon, I'll go ahead with the change.

Having said that, my brother (who owns a dealership) just rang me to say he put my car on his site on Carzone yesterday and he has 3 people who want to view it tomorrow, so the choice may well be taken out of my hands...

Cheeky fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

@Cyrus.

In this climate all second hand car values are depressed.

Whether I buy new or second hand from a garage the trade in value will be much lower than it would have been in the good times.

If I sell privately then I will have to sell at a price where the person buying will feel they are getting good value or a bargain.

yes but the cost of the car (if second hand) that you are going to replace with is also equally depressed

ergo cost to change is the same

You could look at it that way but as we all know garages are trying to clear stock and reduce over overdrafts. They are not going to give you a good price on your trade in.

If you can sell your car privately and buy another privately then the cost of change would more or less stay the same......

Not too many people buying 2 or 3 year old cars secondhand I would think in the current climate. Everyone seems to be going to the UK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes but the cost of the car (if second hand) that you are going to replace with is also equally depressed

ergo cost to change is the same

I think the problem is more you will have a job to sell your own car, regardless of price.

I have a much more modest and saleable motor than yours, but it is larely worthless, and what a garage is offering me is basically a pfo offer. .. e.g. €3000 for a 2003 Focus TDCI.

At that price I would sooner keep it a year or 18 mths longer and give it to my sister for free.

dunno if its more saleable or not

there is always a demand for something like an m3 i think :) its slighty different than say a 330 which is just a large engined variant of a 318

ill be selling privately, trade in isnt on the agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Was planning on buying new in january 09 until i found out the book value of car. It had dropped dramatically. It now makes no sense for me to change as I'd have to make up the difference in my car finance settlement figure and the trade-in value. Not going to throw my own cash into a car. proably not a bad thing I'll now just keep what i have and pay it off over the next 18 months.

furtzy wrote: »
    Was planning on buying new in january 09 until i found out the book value of car. It had dropped dramatically. It now makes no sense for me to change as I'd have to make up the difference in my car finance settlement figure and the trade-in value. Not going to throw my own cash into a car. proably not a bad thing I'll now just keep what i have and pay it off over the next 18 months.

That is what I am getting at. When the book value of your existing car has dropped to the point that you say to yourself "Fup this. I'll keep what I have for another year or two".

A lot of people will be in this situation and unfortunately garages will suffer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was planning to change in 09 but temptation got the better of me and I changed in August...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was planning on changing to a nice 09 Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640 roadster but then I didn't win the lotto.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote: »
    dunno if its more saleable or not

there is always a demand for something like an m3 i think :) its slighty different than say a 330 which is just a large engined variant of a 318

ill be selling privately, trade in isnt on the agenda

Maybe, but someone who buys a M3 must have a certain amount of disposable income. On the other hand, someone who buys a 6 year old hatchback can be quite impoverished. :)

In recessionary times one type of person is more plentiful than the other.

You will definately sell the M3, but even people who will buy it (especially people who will buy it), will be more than happy to crucify you if they feel there is value out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Kafer wrote: »
    That is what I am getting at. When the book value of your existing car has dropped to the point that you say to yourself "Fup this. I'll keep what I have for another year or two".

A lot of people will be in this situation and unfortunately garages will suffer.

I think what really annoys people is the fact that the trade in values have gone way down, but the prices that used cars are asking for hasn't gone down a lot.

If the prices for the trade in people are getting is reasonably close to what similar cars are selling for on the forecourts then I think people would be more accepting of that and perhaps would be more prepared to part with their cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I will be changing in 09!

from a 99 to a 93. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I was going to, but for two reasons I will not.

1) My car is worth 800 euro at best at the minute, and I'm better off running it depreciation free!
    2) I started a PhD instead of a job so the money situation is a lot tighter!

That vRS Octavia will have to wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I had planned to change in 09, but never intended to buy new, have already went down that road a few years ago and seeing as I get board quickly there is no point. Was going to change again this year but as the arse fell out of the market there is no point. Bought my 02 IS200 last year for 18K (paid a little too much but it was nice with low milage) and hoped to see it for 14.5 or so this year but it does not look like that is possible. Really do want to get myself a saab 93 but it will just have to wait.
    I have noticed recently how little private cars are on carzone. Hopefully it picks up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I had planned to change my car just before all the recession talk and I was and I am still planning on going down in years. Personal choice - I have a particular car in mind but I need to sell my own first. Trade in just isnt an option.

Like Cyrus, whatever loss I incur I will just write it off against the fact that I will be getting the car that I want for less money than say 5 months ago, so its not a big issue for me.

I have noticed too that there are a lot more people looking to p/x with private sales, again it just isnt an option for me.

I'll see what happens in the next few weeks with my own

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I will be changing in 09!

from a 99 to a 93. :D

Me too.
    Hope to change my 06 primera petrol for an older BMW/Merc/Audi oil burner.
    70 mile daily round trip becoming too expensive :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I was planning to change to a TT (not new) but I think I'll have to leave it for a while, mostly because of the levy on petrol. I commute from Tullow to Sandyford daily, so I really don't think changing into an even thirstier car is going to be an option for me at the moment.

the TT is in diesel form now at 44k euros new and 150e road tax a bit of a Irish bargain

Advertisement