Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections

Options
  • 16-10-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

The local elections are in June 2009 and I have been thinking what do we really expect them to do for us if anything.

do you have any opinions on this topic?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

smokestone wrote: »
    The local elections are in June 2009 and I have been thinking what do we really expect them to do for us if anything.

do you have any opinions on this topic?

I dont expect much from any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I dont expect much from any of them.

I agree with syd but if I had a wish list:
      A shopping centre for the town
      Trains to stop in Port after 9pm
      More cops
      Local Authority to get off their arses and ensure that the town is kept tidy (I know there is also a responsibility on an individual not to litter...). The public park and around the Railway Station/Seskin Lane gets really bad at times

Can't believe with the amount of moaners on this MB :D that more people haven't replied.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Roaster wrote: »
    I agree with syd but if I had a wish list:
    • A shopping centre for the town
    • Trains to stop in Port after 9pm
    • More cops
    • Local Authority to get off their arses and ensure that the town is kept tidy (I know there is also a responsibility on an individual not to litter...). The public park and around the Railway Station/Seskin Lane gets really bad at times

roaster....
    Pat Moore had planning permission for a large commercial / retail centre off sandy land, but it was never constructed. id say at this stage th eplanning has run out.... i heard various excuses from the ground being too unsuitable, to lack of commercial interest in buying / renting units....

so they have made an attempt at that.

regarding the others, id agree completely....

and id like to see them locate permanant lighting all around the park to keep scumbags out of it at night time...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    roaster....

and id like to see them locate permanant lighting all around the park to keep scumbags out of it at night time...

It's a bit of a joke alright syd especially when you consider that the cop shop is only a stonesthrow away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

I think there should be a gate put up on the park entrance and locked at night time, it wud keep the boy racers out of there.

Doubt the shopping centre will go ahead in the current economic climate.

More cops would be good as another poster said.

Heard there is an astro turf soccer pitch going in beside the leisure centre so thats something to look forward to as long as it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Traffic lights/pedesterian crossing at Station Road/Canal Road cross roads
    ,hopefully before a fatality occurs.

Decent speed ramps that will force traffic to slow down on Station Road and Bracklone Street.

Traffic lights on the Bracklone Street/Upper Main Street round-about because the existing set up is like 'russian roulette' ,most incomming traffic from Bracklone Street are not inclined to yield to traffic.

Centrally located multi storey car park .

Public toilets.

Strategically located CCTV cameras to capture anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Complete demolition of Portlaoise and for it all to be rebuilt properly with shops in one area, warehousing in another, and housing in another instead of the current mish mash we have in our county town. Also, a new by-law that forces people to clean up dog foul, preferably with their teeth.

Advertisement