Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hell fire club

Options
  • 16-10-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, do any of you guys know the full story behind the place?
    And what does every one think of the stories that have came out of this place?

I my self have never experienced anything up there, but always have a weird feel about the place.
    And i assure its not about being on a mountain, i am well use to those! :P

(have a feeling i'll get flamed for this)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Thanks for the link man, great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

One of the guys who wrote that article has is release a new book called "Haunted Dublin" which has a chapter in it about the HFC and the area. Its alot more detailed than that article. I have my copy right here :D

Book.jpg

Ohh, where did you buy it?
    I'd love to pick one up.

Click the link in my post or go to blather.net

I'm reading it now and as someone living down the road from the HFC its a great read.

• Advertisement

I noticed that but dont have a card to order online, i'll check out the ussual spots for books, and if al else fails i'll get my parents card.

Yeah im not to fr off the hell fire club either, about a 30 minute walk.
    Haven't been up in a while, must get up at some stage.

There is a book launch later this month where you can get a copy, should be details on that site.

Yep on the 30th, might not be in dublin for then though.
    If i am though, i'll pop along.
    A book launch and a few drinks, WIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

CianRyan wrote: »

I my self have never experienced anything up there, but always have a weird feel about the place.

Hey Cian, I was trying to muster up a gang of skeptics and believers to stay up there for a night. Now that we are in recession, surely some folks would be up for a cheap night out of the house! There must be 4/5 people out there who would be on for this... Preferably a few skeptics and a few believers... Anyone???

I forgot to mention in my last post, there are detailed historical transcripts of The Hell Fire Club in the Rathmines & Tallaght Library, I have yet to get up to have a look at them but I'll update as soon as I've had a chance...

• Advertisement

During the easter break?
    I'd be up for that, sounds like a great laugh.

And 'll have to check out tallaght library for that.

During the easter break?
    I'd be up for that, sounds like a great laugh.

And 'll have to check out tallaght library for that.

Correction Cian, there are papers about the Hell Fire CLub in the Rathmines Library. I was reading a book this week called "The Bleeding Horse", it's a short book about the Bleeding Horse pub and has a few other stories about old Dublin. The author mentioned that he was in the Rathmines Library and came across some manuscripts about The hell Fire Club in Ireland...

Ment the halloween break up above, woops!

How do i get to the rathmines library?

Ment the halloween break up above, woops!

How do i get to the rathmines library?

Yeah the Halloween break sounds good. Although you might find more activity up there at this time of the year with halloween cider parties, etc. As far as I know, next weekend is a bank holiday weekend, which might suit...

See below for Rathmines Library info...

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/find_your_library/Pages/rathmines_library.aspx

Any other folks on for a kip over in this place???

Ahh, i know the place, always wondered what it was exactly. haha

Hmm, just thinking, i've heard *****s of rituals taking place up there on halloween night, havent a clue weather its true or not though.

Actually South Dublin County Council use this place over Halloween every year now for walks etc as part of Hallowfest. Coilte will be all over the place regularily.

I know they use it during the day, but its a kids thing (they got in my way last year) so i dont know if they use it after dark and such.

Ahh, i know the place, always wondered what it was exactly. haha

Hmm, just thinking, i've heard *****s of rituals taking place up there on halloween night, havent a clue weather its true or not though.

There are a lot of urban myths about this building...

6th wrote: »
    Actually South Dublin County Council use this place over Halloween every year now for walks etc as part of Hallowfest. Coilte will be all over the place regularily.

Saw an poster for this for halloween but this is basically a school tour for kids, over and done with within school time... Coilte have had a few signs up saying beware of forestry work but I've been up there a lot recently and haven't seen any sign of any...

• Advertisement

What happened to the Halloween ghosthunting up here!?!

Kinda fell apart.:o

Maybe next year though.

Juat back from a walk up at the HFC. There seems to be a fair bit of activity up there tonight inside the building, not the usual chavs knacker drinking either...

Explain yourself. :confused:

I took a walk up there at dusk last night just to see the fireworks and bonfires accross the city and there were people upstairs in the house, but they seemed to be adults and they weren't partying, just talking quietly, maybe druids or pagans or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Why would modern "druids" and pagans be hanging out in a 250 year old gaff? They were most likely junkies or idiots believing kiddies Ghost stories about the place

Ah now Grimes, why only consider the structure and not the area itself? Shame on you.

There aint nothing that'd be of interest to pagans or druids up there. The place they want to be is Piperstown Hill , one hill over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Who said they were pagan or druids could have been thrill seekers and how to do you know if the pipers stones would be of intrest to anyone ?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Who said they were pagan or druids could have been thrill seekers and how to do you know if the pipers stones would be of intrest to anyone ?

I was saying that if they were Pagans or Druids, which they most likely were not would they not be more likely to be hanging out in the 4000 year old Bronze Age piper burial cairns and bronze age stone ring in the valley than an 18th century hunting lodge beside the ruins of a relatively insignificant neolithic passage grave. So we more or less agree :)

Advertisement