Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol Station hall of shame

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Some stations have increased their prices.

Maxol Lucan, Lucan Village, Co Dublin - Unleaded : 127.9 - Diesel: 129.9
    16 oct 2008

Shouldn't price be around 119 for unleaded?

Any other station that has to be avoided?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I have noticed the oils prices drop myself in the last few weeks and i think its disgraceful yet again we still get charged at crazy prices. What i dont understand is why nothing is being done about this or why it was not raised in the dail by any of the politicians or even a story in the paper. The price at the moment for a barel of oil is $67 with petrol at €1.27ltr :mad:, so if the price of oil goes up to say a $100.00 then we can expect another surge in price.

I want to know who we can complain to and if anyone has heard anything about this or are they all more interested in the weather :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    Some stations have increased their prices.

Maxol Lucan, Lucan Village, Co Dublin - Unleaded : 127.9 - Diesel: 129.9
    16 oct 2008

Shouldn't price be around 119 for unleaded?

Any other station that has to be avoided?
    Dawh, it went up 8c in the budget. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Dawh, it went up 8c in the budget. :rolleyes:

Yeah but someone said earlier that doesnt apply to existing oil in the pumps, only to new oil orders coming in..?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In before Peasant locks this thread::D

Topez, Tipperary Road, Limerick. (yesterday)
    Unleaded 128.9
    Diesel 134.9

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bazz26 wrote: »
    In before Peasant locks this thread::D

Topez, Tipperary Road, Limerick. (yesterday)
    Unleaded 128.9
    Diesel 134.9

That <SNIP> has been on the Late Late Show defending himself against Irish Shell charging him too much and refusing to reduce their prices to him.

They did 3 days after the Late Late Show and then he went slowly back up.

Considering Topaz is a new company and everybody got new contract agreements on the formation he should have the same prices as every other Topaz.

He is an <SNIP>. I went in once for Diesel in my whole life only because I was returning a Hire Transit to Hiravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

A lot of the filling stations haven't put the price up yet so it must be a case of it will go up when they next fill their tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

There is definitely an issue with petrol retailers not dropping prices in line with the price of crude oil. Their excuse is that they don't buy crude, but they're quick enough to put it up when the price of crude goes up.

Take petrol prices this year, for example, 133.5c per litre during June/july when crude was at its highest at ~$140 per barrel. (200L) which works out at 70c per litre of crude. Our petrol prices are calculated based on whatever the cost is to refine the crude oil, distribute it, for everyone to make a profit and then taxes. So in July, refining, distribution, mark-ups and taxes came to 63.5c per litre.
    Today, with average petrol prices at around 128c per litre (based on observation since budget day). Now oil is below €70 per barrel today, so 35c is the purchase price per litre of crude oil. This means that refinement, distribution, mark-ups and taxes come to 93c per litre. Granted, the 8c per litre tax has been introduced recently but basically, here is our situation:

July: Processing costs and taxes were 63.5c per litre of petrol.
    Today: Processing costs and taxes are 93c per litre, but subtracting the new 8c tax, 85c per litre to do all the same things that were done in july.

Now, I know there are other factors and ingredients in petrol, but if price rises can be so heavily influenced by the price of crude, why can't drops be seen as dramatically.

According to my figures, the price of oil has been cut in half, yet processing costs and mark-ups have been increased by about a third. This just doesn't add up for me.

Maybe I've missed something, or been too simplistic in my view on the figures, if anyone can see any mistakes let me know. Sorry for the long post, I needed to get the figures down in front of me and had to explain where they came from. I hope they are transparent and easy enough to understand!

Sources:
    http://www.aaireland.ie/petrolprices/asp
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/
    http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to Hammertime a price decrease on the same night absorbed the tax increase. Anyone whose prices increased significantly ar ripping you off.
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57581699&postcount=24

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All I say is vote with your wallet and don't buy from these Dick Turpins.

I had to drive from Galway to Cork and back yesterday and it was amazing how some stations are ripping people off. The most expensive petrol was 130.9 i think in a topaz in Limerick and the cheapest was 117.4 in one of the small towns between Limerick and Cork. It was cheap in the station on the Ennis side of Gort too 117.9 petrol and 119.9 diesel so I was amazed to see lots of people happily pumping away in the station on the galway side of Gort with the prices I think at 123.9 and 125.9 not sure which was which as I only glanced. Some people really need to learn to shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fourofclubs

There seem to be a number of factors been ignored, such as increased overheads, inflation etc. But the main factor is the crude oil is prices in dollars. Since the euro was launched in 2001 is has appreciated against the dollar from (€1=$0.84 in 2001 to recent highs of €1=$1.59, now trading at €1.34) what this means in that the dollars has become cheaper to buy. Crude Oil was trading at $77 a barrel in Oct 2007 (12 months ago) hitting all time highs of $145+ a barrel in July 2008, ie. Nearly doubling in a 9 month period. Did the price of petrol at the pumps double? No, because the euro was getting stronger on the dollar so most in the increase we should have paid was offset by the exchange rates. Now that prices of oil are falling due to world global slow down in manufacturing etc the price of Brent crude has fallen back. Over the same 12 month the euro rallied from $1.35 (Oct 07) to a high of $1.59 in May 2008 and now back to levels of $1.36 the cost of the dollar has gotten more expensive to buy offsetting the falling prices in oil. As a rule there is always a lag in pump prices when the prices falls. So I think there will be more cuts at the pump to filter through over the next days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Time on my hands, so I charted petrol, diesel and crude....to say they don't track each other is madness...and also to say that the recent drop in crude is not being matched by petrol/diesel is obvious...so why?

Sources:
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/petrolprices/default.asp
    http://www.ioga.com/Special/crudeoil_Hist.htm

To clarify, obviously these figures are euros against dollars...I'm not compensating for exchange rates :) Don't have that much time!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

£1.06 in the North. Passed through Omagh today. Under a quid at Asda - 99.9p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Only a portion of the petrol price will rise and fall in relation to the Euro/dollar exchange rate and the oil barrel price. Remember that government excise is per litre and is a fixed tax on the fuel. this accounts for, what ... 50c or even 60c? Throw VAT on top of that and there you have 75c of one litre of petrol going to the government. As a result, you are left with 40-45c worth of petrol that will be affected by rising and falling oil. There are also fixed charges built in here ... such as transporting the finished fuel to the stations etc. Say that is 5c per litre. That means you are left with about 40c of petrol that will at any time be affected by rising and falling crude.
    If crude has fallen 40% in the last few months, then 40% of 40c is 16c .... petrol has easily dropped that much since July.

These are only guesstimates by the way. Hammertime could perhaps give a more accurate breakdown.

The real "crooks" are the govt taxing petrol so much but to be honest we're among the cheapest in the E.U. .... it could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Diesel in the Texaco in Ashbourne was still 137.9 last Sunday. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hellboy99 wrote: »
    A lot of the filling stations haven't put the price up yet so it must be a case of it will go up when they next fill their tanks.
    Not out our way, they had the new prices weds morning, first time seeing diesel and petrol the same price is a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Watch House Cross Limerick to day

Petrol & Diesel 119.9

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

snowman707 wrote: »
    Watch House Cross Limerick to day

Petrol & Diesel 119.9

That site has always been cheap because he buys his fuel from whichever supplier is the cheapest the day he orders it.

The 3 days after he opened his site was overflowing with cars looking for his cheap fuel.

Advertisement