Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Companys

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

How are all your Mini-Companys going at the present?
    Ours is called the "Tytans" :S

Not too fond of the name but Ill live with it and I'm financial director of it.
    Made abit of money so far and we're organising a Halloween Party on the 24th to make more money =] :):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

mine is non-existant atm :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Trade Fairs in Early December,
    Ready by then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gamewise.ie

my company is doing really well. we won a few competitions:D and made a few bob:D still up at gamewise.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

my company is doing really well. we won a few competitions:D and made a few bob:D still up at gamewise.ie
    Just had a look. It'd be great if you could archive previous prices, after they leave the top 10 or get the stores on board, scrape from their sites, etc. as most people would have an interest in games outside the top 10 as well. Personally, at the moment, I'd love to know the cheapest place to buy "The Orange Box" or "Dragon Age: Origins" or "Oblivion" on PS3. Great idea though and excellently designed site. Did you design it yourself? It is a very attractive site and definitely better than some "professional" sites I've seen.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just had a look. It'd be great if you could archive previous prices, after they leave the top 10 or get the stores on board, scrape from their sites, etc. as most people would have an interest in games outside the top 10 as well. Personally, at the moment, I'd love to know the cheapest place to buy "The Orange Box" or "Dragon Age: Origins" or "Oblivion" on PS3.

Thanks for the suggestion! We've been looking into doing this for a while and the biggest problem is the time it takes to keep such a large database of prices updated. We're all in 5th Year now and between the prices and reviews we're really short of manpower. If you know anyone who would be interested in writing for us, PM me! I think I can safely say it will come in the future though...
    Great idea though and excellently designed site. Did you design it yourself? It is a very attractive site and definitely better than some "professional" sites I've seen.

Thanks! :) Yep, we did it all ourselves. When we came up with the idea last October our biggest problem was that we didn't have a clue how to design a website! One of the lads taught himself the basics and we put version 1 up in December 2010. Since then the site has become way more complex and what you see today is version 2.0 which launched in June...
    So we actually learned something useful in TY!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Thanks for the suggestion! We've been looking into doing this for a while and the biggest problem is the time it takes to keep such a large database of prices updated. We're all in 5th Year now and between the prices and reviews we're really short of manpower. If you know anyone who would be interested in writing for us, PM me! I think I can safely say it will come in the future though...
    Tbh, doing a large database in person would just be a futile exercise, as prices can change daily. Ideally, you would want access to each retailer's intranet and scrape the prices from there but I doubt the shops would be too accommodating. If you could get it working from their instore pricing systems, It'd be massive. Their websites might be more manageable. Also, Game would be a welcome addition but since there is none in Laois, that wouldn't work unless you collected the prices digitally rather than physically. ;)
    Thanks! :) Yep, we did it all ourselves. When we came up with the idea last October our biggest problem was that we didn't have a clue how to design a website! One of the lads taught himself the basics and we put version 1 up in December 2010. Since then the site has become way more complex and what you see today is version 2.0 which launched in June...
    So we actually learned something useful in TY!! :D
    Fair play, it's very well done. I had meant to learn web design/software coding when I did TY, but it never happened in the end. Now I'm in 5th year, I doubt I'll have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

How does one obtain profit from a website they set up? Just curious.

It's a great idea, no doubt, and the site looks brilliant!

Ideally, you would want access to each retailer's intranet and scrape the prices from there but I doubt the shops would be too accommodating. If you could get it working from their instore pricing systems, It'd be massive. Their websites might be more manageable.
    If we could get access to those intranets, we'd be sorted! :) As you can imagine, the retailers are fairly protective of their prices, and although I we have a good relationship with all of them, they don't like to be shown up as more expensive. Because of that, I think it would be difficult to do what you're suggesting, but it's definitely something we would love to do in the future.
    Also, Game would be a welcome addition but since there is none in Laois, that wouldn't work unless you collected the prices digitally rather than physically. ;)
    As for GAME, they are top of my list, but as they are an English company and their website is in sterling it would have to be physical surveying, and as you said, there's no GAME in Laois. :(. We would really need someone to join the team who lives near a GAME store… As I said, it's a priority, they are by far the most requested store...
    How does one obtain profit from a website they set up? Just curious.
    Entirely by advertising at the moment! We are hoping to launch some spin-off projects such as a 'Gamewise Cup' for online play to increase our income, but advertising is a pretty lucrative business.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Don't hesitate to spread the word, the bigger we are, the more features we can add! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

my friend did a great one. its a website for ty students to help organise their year and stuff, it has a list of Work exp. and community care placements and articles about all the different actvites open to tys. its called www.transitionyearhelp.com aaand it really helps :o you know how stressful ty can be :L

Advertisement